A challenger appears : Marilyn (Yet-yet another AI)

Allright so I'm getting fairly good results in the early phase of the game (beginning ressource collecting) for now. I still have a ton of things to keep doing, but it's usually on par with latest qBot or better. I'll have to compare with myself.

Oen thing I'm trying to do, for example, is having the flow of houses keep with the flow of citizens, and having Marilyn build the best citizen soldiers (for most civ, that will be the fastest unit costing wood/food. See for example the difference between the peltast and the foot companion for the macedonians).

What I personally would like to see is an AI that doesn't stop doing stuff and starts derping for the rest of the game after 45 mins. or so, which is currently (latest alpha) often the case with both qBot and JuBot. Also, an AI which actively targets incoming rams would be great. Right now I can build 10 rams, and use 30-40 soldiers as cannon fodder, and while they are mucking about I use rams to take out civ centres and castles. So if the AI actually tried getting rid of rams as fast as possible, that whole operation would be much harder, and make the game last longer. And if the AI copes well with longer games, that won't make it a drag either.

Edited by Arthur_D

The problem with qBot and Jubot, right now, is that they use the same strategy throughout the whole game (with minor adjustments for the early game). I'm implementing Marilyn right now to change its behavior as time goes by, which should allow for a better control of the late game.

Attack and defense also need to be improved a whole lot, of course. However, for now, I'm trying to get the economic system to be resilient and efficient. I've got the "efficient" part done, now I must teach it to react if it's attacked or something. And some other economic stuffs here and there. Then I'll focus on other stuff.

Edited by wraitii

• 2 weeks later...

I had centralized a lot, everything in "Headquarters"... I'm going to decentralize a tad, or it'll get messy. I'm currently working on proper resource management, as I will need that for my economic manager to work (by that, I mean: I just started. Was busy porting fancy shader-y stuff.)

I'm kind of backtracking from my "UnitInfoManager" and "BuildingInfoManager" idea... Storing in entity collection was the right idea, but my implementation is not always practical. These will probably remain in use to decide which unit/building to train/build, what is available, these sort of things.

Edited by wraitii

• 4 weeks later...

Bad news. I'm pretty sure, after much thinking, that I'll never have time to recreate the economic manager completely and properly. Thus, I'm abandoning Marilyn's development to focus on merging some of it into qBot. 1 working bot and one sub-par experimental bot are not interesting compared to having one really good bot, I believe.

Thanks to those who followed the development, tested the bot and motivated me :) . And expect qBot to feel a little bit blonder and more feminine over time.

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank you very much for your work , wraitii! I looked over your code to learn form it and to understand how it works and it really spent me some experience. Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully your next projects will succed.

btw: Today is the 50st anniversary of the surprising death of Marilyn. (Isn't that strange? :stinker: )

Edited by Almin