Random Map Script:The Nile

Spahbod

Again an RMS. Located in Egypt, it is much like Amazon river in Age of Empires 3. A horizontal vertical river flows in the center of the map with two shallow places. Players start on the opposing side of the river.

Nile%20River.png

For Download click the link below:

Link to Download

And click on the yellow button.

PS: Would you like to add my random maps to the game from Alpha 9? I'd implement changes if necessary.

Naval Map Warning: This map is not suitable for playing against AI anymore.

Edited by Spahbod

PS: Would you like to add my random maps to the game from Alpha 9? I'd implement changes if necessary.

It is very much likely yes :) I'll have to playtest them to have much of an opinion myself (have been quite busy the last couple of days), but just looking at the screenshots they definitely look promising. Especially considering that you are prepared to implement suggested improvements :) So yeah, it should definitely be possible :)

Again an RMS. Located in Egypt, it is much like Amazon river in Age of Empires 3. A horizontal river flows in the center of the map with two shallow places. Players start on the opposing side of the river.

Nile%20River.PNG

For Download click the link below:

Link to Download

And click on the yellow button.

Looks cool! good.gif

I'll try playing this over the weekend.

Not bad. Nice and open. Good for gameplay.

Some suggestions:

• The shoreline needs to be a lot smoother. It's too jagged.

• I suggest marking the fords with a bunch of reeds and lily pads. Check out my 'Hellenised Egypt' map for some ideas.

• I would use the Cretan Date Palms for now, instead of the Senegal and Date Palms. The former is brand new and looks a lot better than the others. The latter two will be remodeled sometime in the future. Play with them in Atlas to see what kind of configs are best.

• You will need to tone down the Sun color on desert maps so the terrains don't get washed out. See the Oasis map for a good lighting scheme for desert maps.

• Sprinkle in some more bushes. See: props/flora/bush_medit_small_dry.xml and props/flora/plant_desert_a.xml and cluster them around clumps of trees.

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad, but I would have made it different. Wider river that can only be crossed by boat, dense palm forests/grass/animals concentrated near the river shores and desert/mountains/mines on the map limits far from it. Players would be forced to invest on taking control of a lot of territory and build two cities to win the game at the evry least (one on the mountains if they start near the river and another on the other shore).

Also, Egyptian eye-candy (ruins, obelisks, etc).

Edited by Argantonius

Not bad, but I would have made it different. Wider river that can only be crossed by boat, dense palm forests/grass/animals concentrated near the river shores and desert/mountains/mines on the map limits far from it. Players would be forced to invest on taking control of a lot of territory and build two cities to win the game at the evry least (one on the mountains if they start near the river and another on the other shore).

Also, Egyptian eye-candy (ruins, obelisks, etc).

Right, lots of organic material (wood, animals, plants, et alia) close to the river, and lots of mineral deposits (Stone, Metal) in the outlying desert areas. A few patches of palm trees here and there for variety. Maybe even some clusters of treasures spread around the map too, to benefit explorers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mythos, you made me do it today.:P

My best map ever:

Nile%20River.png

Updated the map. Shallows are removed. River now flows South-North. And many other changes. Unfortunately, new path algorithm will not make it to Alpha-9 as it can cause unusual game crashes.

Edited by Spahbod

My best map ever:

Nile%20River.png

Updated the map. Shallows are removed. River now flows South-North. And many other changes. Unfortunately, new path algorithm will not make it to Alpha-9 as it can cause unusual game crashes.

Gee, that's really good for a random map algorithm. I only have one playability concern: the players seem to have unbalanced resources (ie the bottom left one has more nearby wood) which I think should be avoided as much as possible in random maps.

Perhaps the players could start more into the desert?

My best map ever:

Nile%20River.png

Looks very nice! I agree--probably your best one so far. Almost looks hand painted in Atlas. Great job. You should see if you can't get that river grass effect on the shoreline like I did in the playable mockup. :) EDIT: Oh, the grass I used is new for Alpha 9. You probably don't have access to it, so it'll have to wait. Maybe Alpha 10 can be the Alpha where we release a bunch of your updated and polished maps?

Gee, that's really good for a random map algorithm. I only have one playability concern: the players seem to have unbalanced resources (ie the bottom left one has more nearby wood) which I think should be avoided as much as possible in random maps.

Looks fairly balanced to me, considering there are two players on one side and 1 player on another.

Well, there are 4 batches of wood on the right and 8 on the left... My concern was more about "reachability"... The players on the left are much closer to the wood since it's more packed... This is not a huge concern, but I'm reminded from my old AoE II age that this can sometimes make a difference (particularly since they wouldn't have to build a dropsite)

That's why I suggested moving the town centers a bit farther from the Nile: all players would benefit from building a dropsite in the early game.

But it's not really anything too important.

Looks very nice! I agree--probably your best one so far. Almost looks hand painted in Atlas. Great job. You should see if you can't get that river grass effect on the shoreline like I did in the playable mockup. :) EDIT: Oh, the grass I used is new for Alpha 9. You probably don't have access to it, so it'll have to wait. Maybe Alpha 10 can be the Alpha where we release a bunch of your updated and polished maps?

Thanks and yes, I have some plans for Alpha 10. Especially if historic-brunno's path system is implemented.

Looks fairly balanced to me, considering there are two players on one side and 1 player on another.

It is so just by chance. There could be more resources in the eastern bank where that single player is located. But I personally like a little "inbalance" in random maps.