alpha 9 name suggestions thread

ribez

ok... alpha 8 is here but we are all anxious to put our hands to the next alpha that should add the roman faction.

So i open this thread to make suggestions for the alpha 9 name. This post will be updated with your suggestions, so please read this post before posting a suggestion, to check if it's already be suggested ;)

RULES

I remember that the Alpha 9 name must begin with the 9th letter of the alphabet, letter "I", and should be about the Roman world ;)

SUGGESTIONS

ribez's suggestions:

• ITALIA: in ancient times it indicated only the southern regions of modern Italy, but from 42 AC, with the suppression of the province of Gallia Cisalpina, it indicates the whole italian peninsula (see this map)
  • IMPERIUM: is a concept of power that already exists in roman republic (see here for the meaning)
  • IUPPITER (equivalent to greek Zeus), the father of other gods and men
  • IUNO (equivalent to greek Era), the wife of Iuppiter
  • IANUS, the most ancient roman god, the god of beginnings and endings, from his name are derived January and janitor

Alpha of the Eagles's suggestion:

• Ides of March
Thorfinn the Shallow Minded's suggestions:
  • Iceni is a possibility. That was the tribe which brought up Boudicca.
  • Illyria could work too. That is in modern Yugoslavia where there lived a people that emphasized on guerrilla warfare.
  • Iphikrates was an important reformer, and was responsible for inventing Ekodromoi and heavy peltasts.
  • Icarus The son of Daedalus who ended up getting killed by not heeding the fact that wax melts with heat.
  • Indibil Not too original, but he is an Iberian hero in 0 A.D. so I will not give much of a biography on him.
  • Iris Greek messenger goddess who used the rainbow for travel.

zaphzaph's suggestion:

• Ilipa is a name of a battle: The Battle of Ilipa in 206 BC was considered Scipio Africanus's most brilliant victory in his military career during the Second Punic War. Though it may not seem to be as original as Hannibal's tactic at Cannae, Scipio's pre-battle maneuver and his Reverse Cannae formation was still a culmination of his tactical ability, in which he forever broke the Carthaginian hold in Iberia, thus denying any further land invasion into Italy and a rich base for the Barca Dynasty both in silver and manpower.
abral's suggestion:
  • Ilia, also known as Rea Silvia, the mother of Romolo and Remo, the founders of Rome. The story of Ilia is in "Ab Urbe Condita libri CXLII" written by Titus Livius, really important for our knowledge of the Roman history and for the Italian culture in general.

POW_Attack's suggestions:

• Ilion - the widely known troy, in ancient greek(you know trojan war, trojan horse etc.)
  • Ippos - horse in greek
Geek377's suggestion:
  • Iulus. The ancestor of Julius Caesar, and son of Aeneas. Also known as Ascanius
  • Iaculum (Roman javelin or short spear)
  • Iratus OR Irata OR Iratum (angry, wrathful)
  • Infortunium (misfortune - what happens to Carthage after Romans show up :P)
  • Inveteratus (long standing - describes Rome)
  • Incontenica (lack of restrain - Romans couldn't help expanding :P)
  • Iaculus. This one is derived from iaculum (spear). It's associated with small serpeant or dragon, also called the javelin snake

BCM's suggestion:

Mythos_Ruler's suggestion:

• Imperator - Means "leader" or "commander"
gadox13's suggestion:
  • Iulius Caesar (but Mythos_Ruler noted that "Julius Caesar won't even be in the release")

Lion.Kanzen's suggestion:

• Iulii (House of the Julii- Patrician roman family)
Argantonius's suggestion:
  • Isis: Greco-Egyptian fertility goddess, Augustus tried to curtail her cult without success

hhyloc's suggestion:

• Ionia: is an ancient region of central coastal Anatolia (Asia Minor), now in the modern Turkey. In antiquity Ionia is known for many great philosophers it produced, including Thales, Anaximander, Aniximenes, Pythagoras, Heraclitus, Empedocles, Anaxagoras, Archelaus
Majicman's suggestion:
  • Imperial Destiny: The Rise of Rome

Enrique's suggestions:

• immodicus : immoderate, excessive, beyond measure.
  • impetus : attack, onset, rapid motion / impulse, passion, force.
  • ingenium : innate character, talent, nature

Edited by ribez

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iceni is a possibility. That was the tribe which brought up Boudicca.

Illyria could work too. That is in modern Yugoslavia where there lived a people that emphasized on guerrilla warfare.

Iphikrates was an important reformer, and was responsible for inventing Ekodromoi and heavy peltasts.

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Iceni is a possibility. That was the tribe which brought up Boudicca.

Illyria could work too. That is in modern Albania where there lived a people that emphasized on guerrilla warfare.

Iphikrates was an important reformer, and was responsible for inventing Ekodromoi and heavy peltasts.

Illyria was the old Yugoslavia... modern Albania was known as Epirus ;)

If Romans are going to be done in the next release, Italia would be a great choice.

We do like to choose less commonly known names, to get an opportunity to educate (and to a lesser degree because we've noticed it makes it easier to track news posts etc about the release :) ). So imho Italia is a bit too common =) We'll see when we get close to the release though, what name seems best :) I just want to encourage creativity ;)

Palatium or Palatinus - the hill where ancient Rome were founded, according to legend, by Romulus after killing his twin brother Remus with the words: "So perish every one that shall hereafter leap over my wall."

Palatium is the etymological origin of the English word palace.

(Edit: it needs to begin with an I sad.gif)

Edited by afeder

- Another vote for Imperium or

- SPQR

- Septen Montes (for Rome's Seven Hills)

- Urbs Aeterna (The Eternal City, i.e. Rome)

- Caput Mundi ("World's Head" - another nickname for Rome)

- Aeneas (the mythical Troyan hero that the Romans claimed descent from)

Err, the name needs to begin with the letter I ;)

Imperator? Come on, there are dozens of names beside Imperium, that definitly would be awesome. As I see it, imperium is commonly understood because the word has survived into the english language, but there must be dozens of options if the purpose was to educate people. However, if you set release to three months ahead, you release it on "Ides of March." :P

Edited by Alpha of the Eagles

Imperator? Come on, there are dozens of names beside Imperium, that definitly would be awesome. As I see it, imperium is commonly understood because the word has survived into the english language, but there must be dozens of options if the purpose was to educate people. However, if you set release to three months ahead, you release it on "Ides of March." :P

well, roadmap says that feature freeze date is set to February 25th, so maybe Alpha 9 could be published on March 15, and "Ides of March" could be a cool name (y)

I have edited the first post with yours suggestions

I think Ilipa could be a good name for Alpha 9.

Ilipa is a name of a battle :

The Battle of Ilipa in 206 BC was considered Scipio Africanus's most brilliant victory in his military career during the Second Punic War. Though it may not seem to be as original as Hannibal's tactic at Cannae, Scipio's pre-battle maneuver and his Reverse Cannae formation was still a culmination of his tactical ability, in which he forever broke the Carthaginian hold in Iberia, thus denying any further land invasion into Italy and a rich base for the Barca Dynasty both in silver and manpower.

Wikipedia source.

Edited by zaphzaph

I think Ilipa could be a good name for Alpha 9.

Ilipa is a name of a battle :

The Battle of Ilipa in 206 BC was considered Scipio Africanus's most brilliant victory in his military career during the Second Punic War. Though it may not seem to be as original as Hannibal's tactic at Cannae, Scipio's pre-battle maneuver and his Reverse Cannae formation was still a culmination of his tactical ability, in which he forever broke the Carthaginian hold in Iberia, thus denying any further land invasion into Italy and a rich base for the Barca Dynasty both in silver and manpower.

Wikipedia source.

added to first post

ok... alpha 8 is here but we are all anxious to put our hands to the next alpha that should add the roman faction.

• ITALIA: in ancient times it indicated only the southern regions of modern Italy, but from 42 AC, with the suppression of the province of Gallia Cisalpina, it indicates the whole italian peninsula (see this map)
  • IMPERIUM: is a concept of power that already exists in roman republic (see here for the meaning)
  • IUPPITER (equivalent to greek Zeus), the father of other gods and men
  • IUNO (equivalent to greek Era), the wife of Iuppiter
  • IANUS, the most ancient roman god, the god of beginnings and endings, from his name are derived January and janitor

Because of romans coming with next version, this seems a good thing.

At first I favoured (like some others) IMPERIUM, but then I thought, it's nothing special. EVERYONE would use this word, for any game, book, film, ...

How about a Roman auxiliaray regiment?

Maybe Illyricorum or Ituraeorum?

Doesn't it sounds something special? <_<

And else ...

at the moment, I would think that IANUS would be sounding most "special".