svn version: long texture loading time

hhyloc

Hello, today after downloading and messing around with the latest svn version, I must say that it's was awesome with all the new features and stuffs (namely the Persians and better unit infos ..) But I encountered a problem with this version though.

At the start of any scenario, it takes quite a while for the game to fully load all the textures. This only happens when I first start a scenario, at the second time everything is fine. Look at the screenshot below (taken after ~5s):

hpTz2.jpg

I guess this problem isn't a big deal, but I wanted to know if I can fix this or at least improve the textures loading performance.

Thanks in advance ;)

It's actually a feature, not a bug ;) Or rather, not the long time, but rather the fact that the game converts all textures to .dds. This allows for artists/modders to use PNG files for maximum ease of use, but at the same time the game can use DDS which is more efficient. For release versions all textures are preconverted, but for SVN versions all new textures will have to be converted. It only does this the first time each texture is used though, so as you say the next time it should be the same as using a release version of the same map.

Let me add to that a little bit. The one-time conversion to DDS/S3TC is actually rather compute intensive if you care about quality, because it involves finding the optimal 2 colors for every 4x4 block, which is quite a bunch of combinations.

If you suspect or would like to probe for other slowdowns, you use the TIMER_ACCRUE functionality documented at http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EngineProfiling .

Anything that gets into the gigaclock range after a minute or two is something we should look at :)