Mythos_Ruler

0 A.D. on YouTube

Speaking of which - Nice job on the Ptolemies. They now look more consistent with 0 A.D. than with AoM. But the idle animations just astounded me.
0 A.D.'s assets are its gateway drug that I can't seem to get enough of.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Speaking of which - Nice job on the Ptolemies. They now look more consistent with 0 A.D. than with AoM. But the idle animations just astounded me.

Having more zoom would had helped him to notice the big difference on the helmets specially corinthians.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sure it is, maybe not the flaming bits, but small torsion engines were used in fortifications, notably enough in the siege of Syracuse but in later hellenistic fortresses I do suspect  torsion engines were installed in designated towers

Hellenistic_Artillery_Tower._Reconstruct

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZOJk1w-nZMP5ywj3dd-j

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Sure it is, maybe not the flaming bits, but small torsion engines were used in fortifications, notably enough in the siege of Syracuse but in later hellenistic fortresses I do suspect  torsion engines were installed in designated towers

Hellenistic_Artillery_Tower._Reconstruct

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZOJk1w-nZMP5ywj3dd-j

Maybe we could change the projectile actor then ? :)

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

on the other hand it's totally not historically accurate XD

Freestanding towers in general just weren't really a thing outside of the Roman Limes (although I don't know where that second pic from LordGood comes from. Is it actually an example of a freestanding tower?). But every civ has towers because it's an RTS convention. That said, artillery towers (attached to walls) were indeed a thing. Of all people, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm kind of in favor of waving historical accuracy for these things because they are pretty darn cool (Alistair's reaction says it all), and they're not super unhistorical because artillery towers did exist... They shouldn't break the game of course. And if I understand correctly, they're only for Greco-Roman civs, so it would feel relatively believable.

Spoiler

1719729634_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc6.thumb.jpg.e590991e2563cb26ac62309ba904f07a.jpg

1816960447_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc.thumb.jpg.52e53c90146907a5a87689e88c6ac796.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Freestanding towers in general just weren't really a thing outside of the Roman Limes (although I don't know where that second pic from LordGood comes from. Is it actually an example of a freestanding tower?). But every civ has towers because it's an RTS convention. That said, artillery towers (attached to walls) were indeed a thing. Of all people, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm kind of in favor of waving historical accuracy for these things because they are pretty darn cool (Alistair's reaction says it all), and they're not super unhistorical because artillery towers did exist... They shouldn't break the game of course. And if I understand correctly, they're only for Greco-Roman civs, so it would feel relatively believable.

Hide contents

1719729634_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc6.thumb.jpg.e590991e2563cb26ac62309ba904f07a.jpg

1816960447_Ospreyancient-greek-fortifications-500-300-bc.thumb.jpg.52e53c90146907a5a87689e88c6ac796.jpg

But maybe then they should be scorpio and not stone throwers towers? 

If mercenary camps were a thing, I would make roman/greek mercenary ballistas avaliable (but limited) for everbody

That's indeed rare of you @Sundiata. I was already expecting you calling it out the moment it was posted in the Forums. I was honestly cowering under my blanket, hoping that you'd go easy on it.

• Haha 1

I am afraid these towers will be abused much. As much as I like the idea of leaving my base knowing that I can defend from siege, I am concerned about incentivising turtling.

16 hours ago, badosu said:

I am afraid these towers will be abused much. As much as I like the idea of leaving my base knowing that I can defend from siege, I am concerned about incentivising turtling.

You have the player experience, so I can take that into account.

But I think the Towers serve more of as Offensive Siege buildings. It's the Tower for the Offensive Base Crawlers. And besides, I don't think you can't get them by turtling anyway (since they're City-Phase buildings).

6 hours ago, sphyrth said:

That's indeed rare of you @Sundiata. I was already expecting you calling it out the moment it was posted in the Forums. I was honestly cowering under my blanket, hoping that you'd go easy on it.

Hahahahaha...

5 hours ago, badosu said:

I am concerned about incentivising turtling.

Legitimate concern, and yes, the towers definitely shouldn't be OP... Maybe they should be significantly expensive/strict build limit? 

Currently turtling isn't the most viable strategy though, although it should be just as viable as rushing. So the towers could actually help balance offensive vs defensive play. I tend to play very defensively myself, especially in early game, but it's really just a good way to get clobbered (although in a recent match one of my opponents referred to the 20 minute final battle in my base as "Stalingrad", which filled me with a little sense of pride :), artillery towers would have made a difference, but the three invading armies would have defeated me either way). 

WELL, architecturally the tower is absolutely perfect.

HISTORICALLY, as for defensive towers that throw stones and arrows and heavy objects at enemies, see the siege of Syracuse. All kinds of automatic contraptions, hurling stones large and small in volleys, are perfectly permissible.
We should also have mirror towers with large round, shiny curved bronze mirrors to set ships on fire. They existed, and a few years hence as stated elsewhere on the forum, some German science teacher actually managed to set a sail on fire at a large distance using the method of Archimedes.

But they should be expensive and somehow integrated into the game; of course we know the Romans eventually took Syracuse by force, so they cannot be TOO advanced.

Then on the other hand, there should be an option to UPGRADE the towers via research, to make them into formidable towers.

If they existed and were built, it can surely be up to the player to decide whether to integrate them into a wall defense, or free-standing.
Somehow it must be balanced, so it is super strong if combined with a wall, but rather weak when standing alone.

Maybe it could have a very long range, but very few hitpoints? Also the projectiles should be faster, and not flaming. My only beef with the artillery-tower as it is now is that fire, it is obviously not realistic at all.

Proposals for tower pack:

1. Artillery tower with large stones (like now) but without flame. Add very long range, increase projectile speed, and reduce hitpoints of tower by a lot, making it easy to destroy unless behind a wall.
2. Artillery tower with small stones in volleys, shorter range, but should be very effective against infantry and cavalry.
3. Artillery towers with ballistae shooting large bolts/arrows. Limited damage to all types.
4. Expensive Mirror-tower which can set fire to ships/siege engines at some distance. Rather useless against infantry and cavalry.

Also, to everyone in here: The serious problem of the stupid manspam-train could theoretically be solved by giving a range of towers that could destroy manspam-train lines and which it would require some tactical thinking to defeat - a combination of correctly positioned siege artillery, breaching a wall and entering with fast units to tear down the towers, before advancing with a main army.

Just sayin'. Even without formations, it would require the player to attack with different types of units in groups. Manspam-train would be a thing of the past.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:31 AM, sphyrth said:

@LordGood @Stan`

This comparison really shows the EXTREME improvement! Great work!!
Comments:

Town center + Fortress still appear a tad too yellow.

Ptol Stables could do with the new improved walls around it - maybe just ½-size walls and copy/paste?
Same for Ptol Military Colony - just copy paste.
Tower crowns could also be copy/pasted.

Edited by Anaxandridas ho Skandiates

37 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Town center + Fortress still appear a tad too yellow.

That must be the lighting they use the same texture...

As for the fire boulder I will fix it somehow. Removing the particle is easy :)

we could make smaller variants for the tower level below 

The only thing to keep in mind is projectile should be visible.

24 minutes ago, Stan` said:

That must be the lighting they use the same texture...

As for the fire boulder I will fix it somehow. Removing the particle is easy :)

we could make smaller variants for the tower level below 

The only thing to keep in mind is projectile should be visible.

I think it is the "roof floor" that is too yellow. The walls seem fine.

On 11/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, Lopess said:

There should be a specific topic for video tutorial with all these types of videos sorted.

• Like 1