0 A.D. on YouTube

Mythos_Ruler

Then this needs to be made explicit in the UI: "JuBot (easy)", "qBot (hard)". We can't expect outsiders to guess this info.

+1 from me :) I suggested it on IRC yesterday. JuBot (easy), qBot (medium), qBot XP (hard)

qBot XP isn't quite 'Hard' yet, but it's getting there!

• Like 1

For AI's, I'm thinking we should reconsider bundling AI's that aren't being maintained, like JuBot.

I agree with this, the problem with keeping multiple AIs around is that it increases maintenance, every new feature that is added needs to be added to each AI separately. For example: walls, gates, technologies, healers, trade, bartering, to name a few, are all "new" features in the sense that AI development has not kept up the pace, now who wants to add support for these features to each of at least 3 AIs?

Since we are still in alpha, we can make these decisions. The only reason some AIs appear to be easier is because they are broken or incomplete, as far as I know JuBot was not intended to be an "easy" bot, nor was qBot intended to be medium, but both were supposed to be very challenging state-of-the-art AIs. I don't think trying to pass off a broken AI as "easy" is a good decision because players will notice the quality of the AI, not only how challenging it is to defeat the first time they play.

What makes a quality AI? Challenge - yes, but also coherent and varied strategies, unpredictability, use of various gameplay features, minimal impact on performance, adaptability to different maps and situations.

If it were up to me, these would be on the chopping block: testbot, JuBot and possibly original qBot if we have a replacement. No offense to the developers of these AIs, they served their purpose and have maybe led to better AIs, let's not be afraid to move on :) It's better to focus our resources on one great AI then spread it out over a handful of mediocre ones.

• Like 1

Cheater AI is absolutely possible now. The AI can send cheat commands very easily. It may be necessary for some "god-mode" for the AI, but I don't think we ought to need that for the "hard" mode.

(If I get my way with the "unpredictability" slider, you may have a level that would be "extreme", where the AI would use cheats a little irresponsibly, calling e=mc2troopers and things like that).

wraitii: the "cheats" ai should use are resource , population and speed cheats (a version of the latter is defined just for ai which you can define the rate yourself). i personally don't want a bunch of planes bombarding my base even if i am fighting a super hard ai.

That's why I'd like two sliders. A difficulty level, that would make the AI gradually harder, and some sort of "unpredictability/entertainment" slider that would have a few levels, like: "efficient at all costs"/"normal"/"fun"/"extreme". On the extreme level, the AI would react to your cheats by using cheats itself, or things like that.

Of course it's pretty low priority.

• Like 1

The second one in spanish is quite funny :P he gets very nervous and freaks out when qBot sends his troops and destroy him ^^ (and he warned it would happen xD)

He is really excited about the game, he gives very positive words to the game and remarks the good work the team is doing on each alpha.

He remarks that 0 A.D. is a "truly Age of Empires successor, improving upon it" And he explains key features recently implemented, and bigger gameplay differences with AOE like using soldiers to gather/build, etc

Video comments are also very positive :)

He's going to make part 2 playing with romans vs carts, but I think he picked up an islands map... ^^

Glad you liked the video. Cause it's mine. In fact, I was passing by the forum to post it, lol

Anyway, Part 2 is already out

Edited by Revan Shan

Your voice is quite epic. (y)

Thanks. In fact I'm the voice for the reviews on eGAM3Rs, and have lots of experience on voice acting. I've done voice acting for mods too.

It's a shame I'm to bussy now with my own proyects. lol I don't want to spam right here, but just for your curiosity, take a look at this (not, it's comedy, not serious stuff :D):

Edited by Revan Shan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silier featured this topic