The ALPHA 8 PREVIEW thread!

fabio

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on the Median Cavalry. They are classed as Cavalry Javelinists (i.e. Cavalry Skirmishers). The Elite form shows some Scythian influences. They are pretty much done, except I need to redo the horse textures. Elite rank needs a new helmet as well.

C3qT2.jpg

The Elite needs a new helmet. as I said. Something like this:

medhelm.jpgMarathon.jpg6b.jpg

Also would like a new head mesh, with the rockin beard and poofy hairdo. They're coming along though.

Yeah, I saw the '04 (and the low changeset number) and figured it had to be super old... But it hasn't been removed from trunk so I figured it must still be in the game somewhere. Though now that I can look at the files that are actually installed, I'm not seeing it. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Good looking map :victory:. Can't wait to play it.

But there is an odd thing there. There are no palms in mountains. Palms need constant high temperatures but mountains are cold especially in winters. And semi-arid forests like the ones in Zagros are not as dense as it is seen in your map (I mean the pines. They are very close. It is not like this in the Iranian mountains at least. look at this picture for example:).

DSC00709.JPG

I meant, AI doesnt know how to handle them well and keeps sending women to mine ore next to elephants = bloodbath :P

Maybe place them a bit further from their CC ?

I shall honor your request. ;) I still need to make some adjustments to the map. The AI soldiers get stuck easily in the mountains. huh.gif Maybe recommend this map as a multiplayer map?

Maybe recommend this map as a multiplayer map?

Only if the AIs really struggle on the map - I tried it yesterday and managed to defeat the AI with the starting force, so didn't notice the pathing problems.

We should perhaps also mark all the Naval maps as Multiplayer only, including the 'Islands' RMS. What do you think?

nah, id keep islands single-player

All of them can still be played in singleplayer - but AIs don't understand what to do on the Islands RMS, so technically it can only be played properly in multiplayer. The AIs will one day learn how to navigate on water, when they do the 'Multiplayer Only' description can be removed ;)

• 2 weeks later...

will alpha 8 get released around christmas?

that would be cool.

regards!

The original plan was to release it earlier than that, but it was decided that we should try and solve some of the biggest performance issues before making the release. So we are currently unable to say when we will be able to release Alpha 8. Hopefully at least in time for Christmas, but we cannot say for sure yet.

The original plan was to release it earlier than that, but it was decided that we should try and solve some of the biggest performance issues before making the release. So we are currently unable to say when we will be able to release Alpha 8. Hopefully at least in time for Christmas, but we cannot say for sure yet.

i totally appreciate that cause it will be so much more fun to play the game with larger armies, more opponents, giant-maps and so on without getting lagged to hell albeit using a modern flagship-pc.

lookin forward to this!

;)

keep up the great work

Edited by JuliusColtranePille

Nice. I love the rally point lines. The code behind that should definitely be recycled to indicate the trade routes of caravans, too.

By the way I'd definitely push back the Alpha 8 deadline a bit if I were you guys... A lot of promising features like trade, attack move, gather points on resources etc. have just been postponed, and Philip won't be able to finish his pathfinding stuff in time either. If you allow for an additional month or so this could have a way bigger impact? Just my two cents.

Edited by Android_