Civ: Eastern Romans/Early Byzantines

Mythos_Ruler

Oh yes. Building styles, Military, Appearance, and Heroes were vastly different for each of those 4 basic Byzantine Eras. I'm no expert on Byzantine, but I've learned a lot through Byzantine reenactors. I can give basics.

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Should we split this topid between "Late Romans" and "Byzantines"? Beacuse it was a pretty big differentiation in culture, organization, and military.

Edited by Flavius Aetius
  • Like 1

Depends on what you see as "Late Romans". With the word Late Romans I think of the Romans at the time of (just before) the Fall of the Western Empire.

Just a question, we from Millennium A.D. are planning a Byzantine faction (the first part of Millennium A.D. goes from the Fall of the Western Empire till the founding of the Holy Roman Empire), I would like it very much if you would contribute to that with ideas, research and references (Guessing you already have done a lot from it):

(Just created a topic for it.)

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18560

Mythos_Ruler also called his thread 'Early Byzantines' for a reason I guess. So yes, then we need to split.

The new topic is then rather for the Non-Early- to Late Byzantines. How do we manage the real late Byzantines when they were only left in Constantinople until Master John Hyunadi's King (aged 18) thought he better takes command from the experienced general and thus just doomed the whole western world (as the Thurks, already on retreat at this point of battle turned the tide after the young King thought he personally could easily kill the Thurk leader and all his elite soldiers ... )?

Btw. John Hyunyadi is the reason why the bells ring mid day in the western world ... (when he stopped the invasion before the aforementioned catastrophe)

The context is, that Constantinople fell as a consequence to this lost battle, where the Hungarian King took command from Hyunyadi.

Depends on what you see as "Late Romans". With the word Late Romans I think of the Romans at the time of (just before) the Fall of the Western Empire.

Late Roman is technically defined as 284-638 AD but the army I posted is The army of about 324-476 AD.

EDIT: I made a topic in the ideas and suggestions forum.

Just a question, we from Millennium A.D. are planning a Byzantine faction (the first part of Millennium A.D. goes from the Fall of the Western Empire till the founding of the Holy Roman Empire), I would like it very much if you would contribute to that with ideas, research and references (Guessing you already have done a lot from it):

I can answer questions you have, but a lot of my time is dedicated. Thanks for the offer though.

Edited by Flavius Aetius

:disgust: Thank you. How could I mix this up?
Immortals and Invincible, the difference is significant. Hephaestion -> oji.gif

sick-dog-in-bed-smiley-emoticon.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fCevySR6A

Yes, Optimatoi. Could we have them really significant?

It is said the losses were always kept as low as possible - how could we achieve that?

@Flavius Aetius: Awesome post in the discussion thread. Now we have two more Roman factions in the workings. I have to parse all available data and put it into my civ generator ... just working on it.

Edited by Hephaestion

For 0 A.D. Empires Besieged, I think we should pick a timeframe of 400-600 for the "Eastern Romans." I use "Late Romans" and "Eastern Romans" and "Early Byzantines" interchangeably here because I want to convey a specific idea, that being of a faction that is not the "typical" Hollywood Romans, but that of a later, more Eastern period. Certainly, the "Eastern" Roman Empire was just as "Roman" as the Western half. In fact, the Byzantines called themselves "Romans" and their contemporaries called them "Romans," and they were a direct descended line from the Roman state. But they did have stark differences from what came before, so it would be very cool to have a faction in the game that portrays those evolved differences.

IMG tags wouldn't work, maybe because I'm new?

BTW, this game is great and I've wanted to contribute to the Late Roman part of it in some form for a while. I just never knew it had a forums.

use imgur for sharing imagen is best and give the possibility of copy as bbcode and use copy and paste to uplad pics.

------------------ you remember me I need to Share some image---------------

Qp4AGGU.png

fD2YulY.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

http://romanrecruit.weebly.com/shield.html

Picture

Picture

Above: Wooden shield found at Dura Europus (AD 260) depicting an Eastern warrior god. This may be a unit insignia (illustration G.Sumner) Left: A reconstruction of the warrior god shield carried by Fortunatus. Note the size and the protection it provides, leaving only his face, foot and hand open to attack.

Picture

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Cheiroballistra, also known as the manuballista, was a crossbow that was occasionally used by the romans. The ancient world knew a variety of mechanical hand-held weapons similar to the later medieval crossbow. The exact terminology is a subject of continuing scholarly debate. Romanauthors like Vegetius (fl. 4th century) note repeatedly the use of arrow shooting weapons such as arcuballista and manuballista respectively cheiroballista. While most scholars agree that one or more of these terms refer to handheld mechanical weapons, there is disagreement whether these were flexion bows or torsion powered like the recent Xanten find.[10]

The Roman commander Arrian (c. 86 – after 146) records in his Tactica Roman cavalry training for shooting some mechanical handheld weapon from horseback.[11] Sculptural reliefs from Roman Gauldepict the use of crossbows in hunting scenes. These are remarkably similar to the later medieval crossbow.[12]

################# more photos######%%%%

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• feneur unpinned this topic