When farms run out...

Rugos

So I started a huge mass-farm in 0AD. Took some screenies to show to friends. The thing is, when the weed farms run out of food, they die out. And when they die out, you have to replace them. All. Individually. Anyone thinking infinite or socket + farm?

screenshot0006o.png

Jeez, the workers look like ants O.o.

I'd like to see a little bigger fields on default plus an option to extend it's size by multiplication. Farms shouldn't run out of food like they do in most games. Making them cost wood is very unrealistic, they should require something like manpower care by which i mean some folks who need to be assigned to farms permanently.

Why not have farms cost lumber to first build (for the plow?) and they will be like they are now, give off a bit of food and disappear.

But also give them the ability to upgrade them, costing food(seeds) and more lumber(more plows?) have them "grow" faster. the farm will no longer disappear once the crops run out but will "grow" more crops over time, and maybe being able to upgrade them more than once but each costing quite a bit more than the last.

Or you can go the AoE way and have replenish farms on the mill(which i would always forget to top up)

We'll probably make them cost Wood at first, then subsequent replantings cost a small amount of Food. I think we want to do a reseeding queue like in Age of Kings: The Conquerors. There were infinite farms in Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III, but I think the consensus is for the AOK:TC method.

Agreed. AOK reseeding farms are preferred.

We'll probably make them cost Wood at first, then subsequent replantings cost a small amount of Food. I think we want to do a reseeding queue like in Age of Kings: The Conquerors. There were infinite farms in Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III, but I think the consensus is for the AOK:TC method.

i again recommend a looping queue so that you dont have to keep clicking the button to make the farm be reseeded; that always annoyed me in AOK

but wouldnt it be more cost-productive to have a looping queue so that the cost is deducted from your resource stockpile when the farm is actually exhausted? because if you tell it to queue up in multiples of 5, wont that be deducted from your stockpiles immediately? with the looping queue, it would just take it out when the farm "dies" so that you dont have to worry about it as much. like i said, thats one thing that was quite useful in Empire Earth II

but wouldnt it be more cost-productive to have a looping queue so that the cost is deducted from your resource stockpile when the farm is actually exhausted? because if you tell it to queue up in multiples of 5, wont that be deducted from your stockpiles immediately? with the looping queue, it would just take it out when the farm "dies" so that you dont have to worry about it as much. like i said, thats one thing that was quite useful in Empire Earth II

Well, don't you have to extract your seed corn from your harvest when you harvest and not when you want to go replant? ;)

EDIT: Your "looping queue" is basically like the auto-queue from Age of Mythology: The Titans. I'm not against it, really, just trying to present an opposing view point. (y)

Personally, I'd rather have each field have a very large amount of food than go the infinite route. I'm not really comfortable with spending 50 Wood and getting infinite Food return, unless we increase the cost of a farm substantially. And there's something to be said, I think, for requiring a little bit of maintenance input from the player, either through manual reseeding or a reseeding queue. Don't want it to get too hands-off.

We could do unlimited, but only after researching an expensive technology. That way it would be costly, but would still allow cheap farms at the beginning of the game. Once you have an economy going and you're trying to keep your unit queues full and manage battles, it's more of an irritation to have to worry about farm queues. An expensive late game technology could perhaps be the best of both worlds.

Could be researched at the farmstead, market, or civil center.

I'd like to see a little bigger fields on default plus an option to extend it's size by multiplication. Farms shouldn't run out of food like they do in most games. Making them cost wood is very unrealistic, they should require something like manpower care by which i mean some folks who need to be assigned to farms permanently.

[/quote

just like u said ,i thing farm should be more useful,

mmo

Browser Games,

Free online games

Edited by Talasi