Game won't start in Windows

Dionos

Hello everyone

I installed the game in Windows 7 32 bit (updated version), but it' won't run. The version is Alpha 7 (0ad-r10288-alpha-win32) and it is installed in the default directory. I tried completely uninstalling the previous version, restarting the system and running the executable as administrator.

When I open "pyrogenesis.exe" it seems to read on the harddisc, but nothing happens. After less than half a minute the HD is no longer accessed and the game remains visible in task manager using more than 90% CPU. I can only stop it by ending the process. No logs are generated.

I can provide more information if that is helpful.

Best regards

(As a sidenote: the game runs OK in Linux though, but it had performance problems. Reading through the forums I now realize it's because of the AI and pathfinding programming. Still, my Windows problem may be relevant for other users.)

I have almost no knowledge about modern Windows versions but shouldn't it be easy to at least run pyrogenesis.exe in a command shell and check the standard output?

I am also a bit puzzled by the debug instruction page. Is the Windows binary a debug build by default?

Hmm that sounds a bit like another problem with DELAYLOAD, but more information is needed. Are you comfortable trying to debug the game, to find out what it's doing?

I followed the debug instructions (which all went fine). You can find the output here: http://users.telenet...game_start1.txt

Interesting, can you make a Trac ticket for this? (updates can be sent to you via email, in case we need more info)

I'd say attach your debugger output and also %appdata%\0ad\logs\system_info.txt if you have that.

Interesting, can you make a Trac ticket for this? (updates can be sent to you via email, in case we need more info)

I'd say attach your debugger output and also %appdata%\0ad\logs\system_info.txt if you have that.

The ticket is filed here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/976

I didn't have the system_info file, but please ask me if you need any more information.

I've noticed you quickly posted a fix for this problem, which is good news. Can I test this fix using a binary (and perhaps post my system_info.txt)? Or would it be best to wait for a new release?

There won't be another release until Alpha 8, so if you want to test the fix sooner that would be great :) You'd need to check out the latest SVN: either compiling it yourself or waiting for the next autobuild (should be soon).