Multiplayer

fiasco

Alright, I am just curious about this so I am by no means saying I could make it or pay for it, but: how much effort/how much money do you think it would take/cost to make an online matchmaking service similar to ESO (preferably the ESO for AoM as it is the best interface and is simple). I am a big fan of the ELO rating system and I think having your own server/matchingmaking service to regulate would make the game better as cheaters could be dealt with easily and feedback could be given to you more readily.

I do know some languages (java, c# and some c+ as well as html(not really a language)) so I could help if needed. I also know people who do stuff for AoM mods who are very good with this kind of stuff. The ELO rating could be based on something like this: Fropco ESO

Just and idea and looking forward to see what ya'll think.

Edited by fiasco

ESO was okay, but kind of frustrating in its "simplicity." I liked the MSN Gaming Zone when it was up and running. I liked seeing the different rooms in a graphical interface with info buttons, rather than a simple list that told you very little (ESO). I liked ESO's quick-match system for ratings, though it was way too easy to create smurf accounts.

• 5 years later...

Voolby seems to be compatible only on Windows, don't know if that's a real problem for the idea or not.

About players rating, I remember a e107 plugin called eBattles which has not only ELO rating but also TrueSkill rating. Here is some info about TrueSkill from Microsoft and a random search engine result about ELO vs TrueSkill. Hope this may be of interest if planning to improve the actual rating system and debate :)