Mouse Lag and General Slowness on Linux

Moooartin

Hello everyone,

Ok, like few people I'm having some troubles to run the game on linux : Mouse Lag & General Slowness during the game.

0 A.D. Version: r09786

I build it with the command "CONFIG=Release"

I Tested it and went OK!

Config:

Laptop with Ubuntu 11.04.

CPU: Intel i5 4x

RAM: 4GB

Graphic Card: Intel HD Graphics (Integrated VGA compatible controller)

Don't know what else to say about me config, So just ask me what's needed and I'll post it.

(edit) Any tips to fix the problem?

Edited by Moooartin

Unfortunately the Intel integrated graphics are just too weak to run the game properly.

Even the newest Intel HD 2000/3000 graphics are the equivalent of a low end discrete GPU, from what I've heard. Here's a snapshot of performance (it's a few months old).

For mouse lag, try setting the environment variable SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 when running the game. (Next alpha release should do that automatically.)

Ah, I thought it was in A6 for some reason. Hopefully that will help to try :)

Hey thanks for your answers,

Janwas

Unfortunately the Intel integrated graphics are just too weak to run the game properly.

Are you sure, cause when I go online to check out my graphic card I find this:

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Paired with Intel® 6 Series Chipsets) That's what i get.

Can get up to 1.7GB of Graphic Memory ( on Windows 7).

It's a story about some prefetchable memory, is it the problem? Or do I just need to configure Ubuntu?

Ykkrosh,

I tried to set the environment variable but didn't change. Even with the shadow and water effect disable.

Cheers

Someone said that there is no need for separate graphic card???:blink:

I did not.

All I'm saying is Intel, and I know there are sellers, says

Intel® HD Graphics take advantage of graphics being integrated into the processor, thus significantly boosting performance, while eliminating the need for separate hardware and the design and performance challenges that accompany them. The graphics engine includes more, redesigned execution units (EUs) and enhanced 3D functionality.

Intel Graphics

They even show us few games that would work with it, Civilisation V, Need for Speed, Star trek....They all new games, using 3D and need some good graphic cards, isn't it?

So How come 0 A.D. doesn't work and these would?

I just need some explanations.

They even show us few games that would work with it, Civilisation V, Need for Speed, Star trek....They all new games, using 3D and need some good graphic cards, isn't it?

Unfortunately integrated graphics cannot compete. 0AD does 'work' on your laptop, and I'm sure Civ5 would also 'work' on it, but the question is how would it work. Here is some proof that it's not just 0AD.

Ask yourself: are those games tailored for Linux or Windows? :P

Also commercial games will obviously have many resources at their disposal, so they can optimize and tweak every little thing to gain another 1fps increase. Since we're open source, anybody with the knowledge and time required could join and help us optimize the game, but it's not feasible for us to focus on only Windows or Intel (by comparison we plan to support Windows XP+, Linux, OS X on Intel or AMD with Nvidia/ATI/AMD/Intel graphics, oh and 32 or 64-bit builds).

Thanks for your time and answers, I feel a bit retarded...

Ok, so what intel's saying is a bunch of "Bultachen", If I understood what I've read with your link Pureon.

Bruno, I totally understand what you're doing guys, And Honestly you are doing great!! With Open Source it ain't easy to suit every OS or Hardware perfectly, (need time, people etc..) i get it.

I'm just so sad that I won't be able to play it on me laptop. Burger!!

Keep the good work!

Good luck with your next releases.

Aaaah, I wanted to play it so much!

PS: English isn't my native language, Sorry if I've been unpolite or even rude to anyone.:blush:

• 1 year later...
Unfortunately integrated graphics cannot compete. 0AD does 'work' on your laptop, and I'm sure Civ5 would also 'work' on it, but the question is how would it work. Here is some proof that it's not just 0AD.

Sorry to dig this topic up, but integrated graphics can be fine for 3D strategy games. Warzone 2100 is perfectly fluid on the Core i3 M350 of my laptop, even with 8 players on a big map.

Of course 0AD is more advanced graphically and the sets are more sophisticated, but I think the difference of performance is currently bigger than it should be.

Anyway, apparently we can expect a big jump of performances in 0 AD in the future, so I wouldn't be suprised if then performances become acceptable on a Core i5 4xx processor.

The performance in general has very little to do with the graphics card so far (at least unless your graphics card is very old or possibly if you use the new effects), but rather with other things (there is still a lot of things in the engine that can be improved), and a decent integrated card should be able to run the game. However, I would personally recommend against using an integrated card for gaming as it could break your computer. Now don't take this as "It will break your computer!" ;) But since an integrated card rarely has the same kind of cooling as a proper graphics card it's at least something to be aware of, if you have a reasonably good graphics card (I would guess that 512MB is enough to be safe for things like 0 A.D., unless we add too many new graphical features =) ), and isn't playing for too long at a time I think you'll be fine. I've just experienced it myself when an overheated graphics card ruins a laptop, so it's something I want you to be aware of so you don't have to experience it yourself :)

The performance in general has very little to do with the graphics card so far

Yep. I've just made simple performance test and I've noticed that. Maybe I will detail this in a new thread.

But since an integrated card rarely has the same kind of cooling as a proper graphics card it's at least something to be aware of, if you have a reasonably good graphics card (I would guess that 512MB is enough to be safe for things like 0 A.D., unless we add too many new graphical features =) ), and isn't playing for too long at a time I think you'll be fine. I've just experienced it myself when an overheated graphics card ruins a laptop, so it's something I want you to be aware of so you don't have to experience it yourself :)

I agree with you in the case of the laptops. My laptop heats like a furnace when I launch Warzone or 0AD.

On my desktop computer howerver I don't feel any difference. The AMD IGP is integrated to an ASUS motherboard covered with heat sinks (I guess the quality of the cooling in the case of destkop motherboards is the same as in the case of fanless graphic cards), and my computer case is full of big Noctua fans, so I don't worry a lot. :]

I agree with you in the case of the laptops. My laptop heats like a furnace when I launch Warzone or 0AD.

On my desktop computer howerver I don't feel any difference. The AMD IGP is integrated to an ASUS motherboard covered with heat sinks (I guess the quality of the cooling in the case of destkop motherboards is the same as in the case of fanless graphic cards), and my computer case is full of big Noctua fans, so I don't worry a lot. :]

Ah, yeah. I was mostly thinking about laptops :) Desktops should be a lot safer, especially with a bunch of fans :)