using content from 0 AD in an open source browser game

devland

Hello there.

I am currently working on version 2 of a browser game I created a while back called Devana. The project is open source ( http://sourceforge.n...rojects/devana/ ) and it needs some pretty images for the buildings.

Since both 0 AD and my game take place in a medieval setting, and since both are open source, I was thinking of using screenshots of the buildings in 0 AD.

Is that possible? And if so, what do I need to do in order to be in compliance with the license of 0 AD?

Thanks for your time. :)

Since both 0 AD and my game take place in a medieval setting

The current version of 0 A.D. is based on the period around 500BC to 1BC, which is like a millennium before medieval, so it might not be entirely perfect in terms of historical accuracy :P

I was thinking of using screenshots of the buildings in 0 AD.

Is that possible? And if so, what do I need to do in order to be in compliance with the license of 0 AD?

The game's art data is released under the CC BY-SA license, which means you can freely copy and modify and distribute etc but need to provide attribution (in particular say the original author of the graphics is Wildfire Games and link to http://www.wildfiregames.com/ , and also say it's CC BY-SA and link to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ , in some reasonably noticeable place (like alongside other credits or copyright notices)). Also, any graphics you distribute that are based on the game's art must themselves be released under the CC BY-SA license, so that anyone is free to further modify and distribute your modified versions (as long as they include attribution to you too). Apart from that you can pretty much do what you want :). Other graphics (and code etc) in your game that are not based on our graphics can be any license and aren't affected by any of this.

That's great.

The "medieval" setting I mentioned was more of a guideline. It doesn't have to be that particular age. It could also have been a sci-fi setting, since the code is actually an engine for these types of games and it allows for easy customization.

I am a big fan of the Age of Empires series, and 0 AD is the next best thing. So that's why I came here.

I will add the credits in the credits page right along side my own credits.

I'll let you guys know when this is done.

Thanks for the quick reply and keep up the good work. You've got something very special here indeed. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Alpha 3 for Devana 2.0 is released with a big update related to the general look of the game which is based hugely on the graphics of 0 AD.

I just want to say thanks to the people behind 0 AD. You guys & gals are awesome and inspiring. Keep up the good work. :)

Edited by devland

Alpha 3 for Devana 2.0 is released with a big update related to the general look of the game which is based hugely on the graphics of 0 AD.

I just want to say thanks to the people behind 0 AD. You guys & gals are awesome and inspiring. Keep up the good work. :)

Really cool to see your progress (y) I would suggest speeding up the logo animation in the indiegogo video though =) Watching almost 40 seconds of just logo animation can easily get boring and drive people away.

• 8 years later...

I have an educational game idea in mind.

I plan to make it closed source for now, till I achieve some level of financial sustainability.

I'm looking at the possibility of using the assets of 0 A.D as part of that game.

As I understand, there are 3 take-away points from this thread.

If there's any inaccuracy in my understanding, I'd like somebody to point them out.

I searched a lot regarding my doubts: these forums here, Wikipedia, and the CC website. However, I could not get the answer to my exact question.

My understanding:

#1. Based on the reply above by Ykkrosh, I sense that I can use the assets of 0 A.D. as part of my closed-source game, as long as I provide attribution at relevant and visible places.

#2. If I want to keep my game closed source, then I cannot use the underlying code of 0 A.D. (even if I provide attribution).

#3. If I want to keep my game closed source, then I have to use another engine, and not the one that 0 A.D. is developed with. If I do use the engine behind 0 A.D., then my game will be counted as a mod and then I have to make my entire game available as open source.

#4. Now, I'm aware that trying to make a closed-source game by using assets available in an open-source game is frowned upon.

Some help is appreciated. I don't want to tread on something that I love and appreciate - namely, FOSS.

On 19/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, prithabi said:

#1. Based on the reply above by Ykkrosh, I sense that I can use the assets of 0 A.D. as part of my closed-source game, as long as I provide attribution at relevant and visible places.

Ideally you would provide a link to the original models. Also because they are Share Alike, all derivative work from them e.g adding a bunch of new objects to the models must be under the same license.

#2. If I want to keep my game closed source, then I cannot use the underlying code of 0 A.D. (even if I provide attribution).

Right.

#3. If I want to keep my game closed source, then I have to use another engine, and not the one that 0 A.D. is developed with. If I do use the engine behind 0 A.D., then my game will be counted as a mod and then I have to make my entire game available as open source.

That's a weird way to put it but yeah. Assuming it uses 0 piece of code from the main game the mod could be closed source but one could still look at the files.

#4. Now, I'm aware that trying to make a closed-source game by using assets available in an open-source game is frowned upon.

Usually the problem is the attitude toward it. I don't mind my assets being reused as long as one follows the license and doesn't claim he made them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

(Forgotten my password, took a while to retrieve it. Hence the delayed response, though I'd read your response long back.)

Stan, thank you. Your answer is very clear.

If and when I finish my game, I will share it with WildFireGames (and others whose assets or code I've used) so that it can be audited to ensure that I've not inadvertently used assets or code or other material inappropriately.