Epic Australia/NZ/PNG Map

Pick a scenario  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Where should people start

• Randomly on any of the islands that arn't australian
    • Randomly around the map including australia
    • On Australia only, free to invade / capture smaller islands

I started an Aussie map way back in the Age of Mythology days... then abandoned it... :(

FRmos.jpg

Could never find a good Australia map for AOM so I made my own, i'll find it and post it. :)

My 0AD map is slightly disproportionate, I want Tassie to be more prominent and important not a tiny dot that does nothing so i made it 150% of normal size and I brought NZ slightly closer. Other than that it is pretty much accurate.

I'll post a screenie tommorow. :)

Edited by asmartgoat

Map is delayed due to preformance issues. I'll still post screenshots later, but It ONLY works good in multiplayer not VS bots. (Laggs pretty bad as soon as the Player encounters AI. [NB: Could that be because of the islands?])

It is possible that you have some fish too close to the AI's shore and they are sending units to attempt to gather the fish, which causes lag (cuz they just sit there idling at the shoreline looping their pathfinding commands over and over).

they just sit there idling at the shoreline looping their pathfinding commands over and over

What should they do instead, when they can't reach their assigned target? (bearing in mind that they might be blocked by e.g. a gate or another unit, and could get unblocked in the near future; or their target might be moving and come within range in the near future; so maybe immediately giving up would not be ideal). (I think the pathfinding responsiveness changes in the latest release made this problem much worse, because the units loop their pathfinding requests at least once (maybe more?) per turn, whereas they used to be much slower; we should at least add some rate-limiting delay when they fail to find a path, if they're going to retry it again.)

Hmm, I am not sure what the ideal solution would be, but for the meantime I think a check that the fish are in water less than X depth and within Y distance from shore would be adequate?

Do we need anyone but fishing boats to be able to fish? Not that fishing from the shore is a bad idea/unhistorical afaik, but at least for now that should get rid of at least that part of the problem. If they can't gather the fish I mean.

I believe the same underlying issue applies to land units attacking ships, or attacking units on another island, so changes to fish won't solve the problem.

I guess we'll have to just deal with it then, until the pathfinding is eventually upgraded.

Do we need anyone but fishing boats to be able to fish?

I wouldn't mind making fishing the prerogative of Fishing Boats only. It makes fishing boats more important, and lets the player use land units specifically for land-related tasks.

I'll remove all fish from my map and then run it again. I'm bogged down with work at the moment, I'll upload the map (which is not finished) tommorow.

As for the question about whole world maps. The if a map is too large (I dont remember the figures) the pathfinder will complain of overflow errors, and the speed of gameplay will be significantly reduced exponentially when map size is increased.

Maybe the pathfinder will be fixed when it is reimplemented. :)

Edited by asmartgoat

As for the question about whole world maps. The if a map is too large (I dont remember the figures) the pathfinder will complain of overflow errors

In theory the pathfinder limit should be 724x724 tiles. I suppose it'd be nice if the game engine worked better for extremely large maps, but not if that has any harmful effect (on performance or complexity etc) for sensible-sized maps, so there will probably always be some overflow-dependent limits.

• 2 months later...

Will Release tomorrow evening (T Minus 24 Hours), that's a promise! (y)

Just finishing a few last things up...

Here is Australia, this was rendered on an el-crappĆ³ pc so the entities have squares around them for some reason.

australiai.jpg

EDIT!

As promised, the australia map for AOM.

Rename the file from .zip to .scn, your filter doesn't allow .scn! :)

WARNING: THIS FILE IS FOR AOM! NOT FOR 0A.D. Thank you.

australia.zip

Edited by asmartgoat