Wrong Persian Tranlations

Spahbod

I have found that some of your Persian translations were not suitable for the game. Also your description about the language itself was not completely true.

First of all, Ancient Persians didn't speak avestan. They spoke Old Persian Language. It was a branch of Indo-European languages close to Sanskrit but with major differences. Persians Didn't speak Sanskrit.

There are a list of words that should be changed:

Padgan: It means "Barracks". Not "Outpost".

No old persian word of an outpost is known. But in modern persian it is called Borje Didebani. Borj is an Arabic derived word. So we can use Didbani (In old dialect) alone instead of it.

Borj: it is in fact an Arabic word. There isn't any word of this meaning in older persian languages. But due to it's defensive nature, it is better to use Dezhak (Dezh meaning fort and -ak is the suffix for being small) meaning Very Small fort or defensive structure.

Apadana: means Palace! It is originally an Elamite word. it is better to use it instead of more recent Kakh for Palace building and use Padgan for Barracks.

Dura: Dezh is a Persian word meaning Fort/Fortress. You can use it instead of that Akkadian word.

Armoured = Zerehdar (Zerehi means armour (Tanks, AFVs, etc.))

Fully Armoured Horse: Aspe Bargostovandar. (Although a Middle persian word, It is better than Porzereh. Bargostovan means Horse armor of cataphracts and -dar is the suffix for having something)

Babylon = Babiru

Babylonian = Babiruviya

Bactria = Bakhtri

Bactrian = Bakhtrish

Camelry = Oshotorsvaran

Cappadocian = Katpaduka

Cavalry = Asvar/Svar

Fishing Boat =Mahigiri Nav

Indian = Hindu

Ionian/Greek = Yaunash

Ship = Nav (Read Naav)

Edited by Spahbod

Thank you for this! Quite a bit of our game's translations have been cobbled together by many different people from many many many many sources over the course of many years. So, there are bound to be quite a few errors and inconsistencies. There are many many publications in English regarding Greek and Roman themes, while very little is published about the Persians. This is a shame, because I'd love to see some full-bodied work and attention being given to the Achamaenid period.

It would be good if someone else with knowledge of Old Persian could comment on your post. A few months ago we had a running debate between a couple of Greek speakers regarding the Greek terms in our game. Through that discussion we all came to a consensus on many conflicting terms and finally, I think, made something consistent and mostly correct. My hope is we can get something here along those lines.

It would be good if someone else with knowledge of Old Persian could comment on your post. A few months ago we had a running debate between a couple of Greek speakers regarding the Greek terms in our game. Through that discussion we all came to a consensus on many conflicting terms and finally, I think, made something consistent and mostly correct. My hope is we can get something here along those lines.

I understand your point. But I fear there are not so many people familiar with this language in the world. My own information comes from a university book. It is called "A Manual of Old Persian" by Dr. Changiz Mowlaie. It's ISBN number is :964-95640-5-5. But it is in Farsi and thus could not be found outside Iran. People who read such books are usually PhD students and won't have time to contribute in forums.

Anyway. I just looked at the book and I found some words that I didn't memorize them. But are extremely useful for game. Also I didn't remember the word "Indian" correctly but I found the correct translation in the game. So, I've edited it. Here is a list of other words:

One: Aiva

Stone(noun): athanga

Stone made(Adjective): athangina

Assyria: Athur

Assyrian: Athurya

Temple: Ayadana

Spear/Javelin: Arshti ( Although I think it is the latter)

Spearman/Javelineer: Arshtibara/Arshtika (Same as above)

Village: Avahana

battleaxe: Isuva

Archer: Thanuvaniya/Vajabara

Chariot: Ratha (I really want to know the person who translated it "Charcharkhe" for you. It seems that he didn't know Modern Persian too. Because it is called "Gardune" in modern Persian)

Warrior: Hamaranakara

People/Army both: Kara

Helmet: Khauda

Corral: Gaithastana

Raider: Vasabara

Elite: add the prefix Hu just before the name. for example :Huvasabara (Good/Elite Raider)

Cow: Gav

Advanced: No such word in old persian. But you can use "Tauviah" meaning Stronger or "Dathant" meaning Strong.

Shield Carrier: Takabara. I think I saw this word in your translations for Archer!

Wood/Lumber: Tharmi/Daru

Susa: Joosha

Gold: Daraniya

Villeger: Daha

Wall/Fort: Dida (Better to be used as Wall)

Gate: Duvitaparnam (Meaning 2 sided door actually. The nearest word to the gate)

Navak: Boat

Parthian : Parthava

Persian: Parsa

Infantry: Pasti

Libya: Putay

Median: Maada

Man: Mart

Egyptian: Mudraya

Hyrcania: Varkana

Hyrcanian: Varkaniya

City/Town: We don't have a separate word for Town. So we can call the town "Vardana" and the City "Vazaraka Vardana" (Meaning City and big city respectively Or we can use :Vardanak (Small City) for town and Vardana for City)

House : Vith

Scythian : Saka

Sughd(Province): Sugda

Army :Spada

Military Camp: Spathmaida

Sardis: Sparda

Sardian: Spardiya

Enemy army: Haina

Ecbatana: Hamgmatana

Battle/War : Hamarana

Poof... Finished. I start with building some compound words:

Bireme: Hamaraniyanava (War Ship)

Trireme: Vazarka Hamaraniyanava (Big Warship. Triremes were the biggest Persians knew)

Bartaniyanava (Carrier Ship). Can be used for Transport ship/Galley

Assyrian Battle Ram: Athuriya Hamaranakuba

• 4 months later...

I've found that you have implemented the new translations into Persian units in SVN version. Very good work.(y) The only problem is that there are two mistakes. One for Sogdian Archer which must be translated to "Sugda Thanuvaniya" not 'Sugda Thanvabara'. Also Indian warelephant must be renamed to "Hinduya Pila". The rest are pretty good.

Also for the word "Takabara". It's meaning is not clear but it seems to mean "the ones with the leather helmet". You might like to implement this into the description.

• 7 years later...
On 7/6/2011 at 4:11 PM, Spahbod said:

Assyrian Battle Ram: Athuriya Hamaranakuba

Hamarana- means “battla”, but what is -kuba and where did you find it?

On 11/24/2011 at 9:18 AM, Spahbod said:

Also for the word "Takabara". It's meaning is not clear but it seems to mean "the ones with the leather helmet". You might like to implement this into the description.

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1935#80019

• Like 1