Achaemenid Thoughts

kephra

Moin,

this is my first posting here, but I'm following 0ad for a while and even submitted two patches to trac. I was playing WRG and Shock of Impact, focused on Achaemenid army. So I would like to see Persians here, sooner or later. And have some thoughts how their troops might fit into 0ad.

Civic Centre:

- Woman

As usual - but more beautiful than greeks ;-)

- Sparabara

Translation: Shield bearer

Basic: Light infantry with Sinam (long spear) and Spara (big paravise like shield)

Advanced: Medium armor, helmet, good combat and morale

Elite: Heavy armor, helmet, elite combat and morale

Notes: The Spara is giving the name for this unit providing perfect protection against archery

- Pasti

Translation: Citizen foot soldier

Basic: Light infantry starting with a bow

Advanced: Medium infantry with bow

Elite: Medium infantry with bow and medium spear

Notes: The bow was the most common weapon for citizen in Persia

- Asabari

Translation: Horse rider

Basic: Light cavalry with a bow

Advanced: Medium cavalry with bow

Elite: Medium cavalry with bow and medium spear

Notes: Every persian knows to ride, to fire a bow and to speak the truce

Barracks:

- Takabara

Translation: Taka bearer

Notes: Same as basic greek peltast

Fortress & Special Buildings:

- Anusiya Asabari

Translation: Companions

Heavy cavalry with long spear and javelin

Notes: Eran-Spahbed Suren-Pahlav was leading 400 Azad and 50.000 Anusiya against Mark Antony

- Anausa Asabari

Translation: Immortal cavalry

Heavy cavalry with bow and long spear

- Anausa Arstibara

Translation: Immortal apple bearers

Heavy mounted infantry with bow, gerrhon (8 shield) and sinam (long spear)

Notes: Anausa fight mounted with either bow or spear and is able to unmount to fight with spear and shield or bow. I guess 0ad need two troops for this.

Heros: (in addition to the wiki)

- Eran-Spahbed Suren-Pahlav

Noble (Azat) Hero with Anusiya equipment

Those would be the basic troops.

So Persian home army has lots of archers and cavalry. But Persian empire was know of hundreds of clients, who also served in the army. Median, Kissian, Bactrian, Parthian, Arab, Sakae, Armenian, Paphlagon, Medizen, Thessalian, Hyrkanian, Caspian, Indian, Lydian, Chaldean, Thracian, Mycian, Phoenician, Milyan, Bithynian, Lycian, Sogdian, Arian, Pisidian, Paricanian, Sarangian, Colchian, Moshian, Ethiopian, Cabalian, Egypt, Libyan, ... - some of them are interesting e.g. arab usabaris (camels), indian elephants, scytian or lybian chariots, but most normal troops often with only light armor and low morale. The idea here would be that Persian houses cost 150 wood plus 150 stone to give a population bonus of 10 and to offer one random client troop.

Some notes to the wiki:

- The basic Sparabara without shield as in the wiki does not make sense. Spara is a shield, a shield bearer without a shield is naked

- The wiki mixes Anausa with Anusiya, immortals with noble heard troops.

- Several units have both a range and a melee weapon. I fear this needs some time till 0ad can cope with them.

ciao,Kephra (aka kraehe in irc)

Edited by kephra

I have no idea how the engine would do Persian units as there doesn't seem to be a RangedAttack and an MeleeAttack....it's just attack....but i would love to see that fixed.

Secondary attacks aren't implemented yet. The hotkey for the secondary attacks I hope will be the Alt key. (Alt-RightClick to attack with secondary weapon.)

Secondary attacks aren't implemented yet. The hotkey for the secondary attacks I hope will be the Alt key. (Alt-RightClick to attack with secondary weapon.)

Considering that keystroke, what if you have many units selected, some of which only have one attack, and you attack with Alt+Right click? Do they just default to their primary attack? My thinking is that you could then group archers with archer/melee units and attack at a range first, then have the melee units move in and defend the weaker archers.

(Sorry for being completely off topic here)

Moin Mythos,

Hi. Thanvabara would not be the best word for Archer?

*hm* Thanvabara are pure light bow men, and would restrict the units in armor and weaponry. While Pasti is the basic word for infantry, so advanced could have an armor and elite an additional spear as melee weapon. The alternate would be to keep them pure bow men, and only raise armor and to hit probability.

My idea was to claim 'Every Persian learned to shot a bow, ride a horse and speak the truth'. So basic Pasti and Asabari start with a bow. The 3rd basic unit would then be the Sparabara, as someone has to stand in front with a spear and shield wall.

EDIT: The basic Sparabara having no shield is a mistake, which I have just fixed. :)

thanks,Kephra

Edited by kephra

Moin Mythos,

I would prefer if those units have one of two buildin behavoirs:

- Skirmishers, e.g. Persian immortals, will prefer their ranged weapons and only use melee weapons to defend themself, and to finish enemies at low health.

- Shock troops, e.g. Roman legionaries, will charge enemies and throw their ranged weapons short before impact.

ciao,Kephra

Edited by kephra