Game Of Thrones

I've seen the discussions on other forums and occasionally taken part so I'm wondering does anyone else read the books and/or watch the TV show?

I have only watched the TV show but the books seem to get a lot of praise from people I know so I might pick them up.

I have never read the books either, but I really really enjoyed the show. It was ... raw and entertaining. And really well made I think.

Can't wait for the next episode this sunday. Can't help really hating the queen though. Just want her to DIE! :D

There are 10 books arent there? Thats a lot of reading :)

• 10 months later...

I've only read the first three books. Marvelous work but hard to read for someone without an advanced knowledge of English (like me). I use a special dictionary that can find and translate words on the screen to read it.

I know how you feel, i felt like that when i was 11, but i tried reading books in english (and had no option for games, since most developers released games only in english/german/polish), now i have read (in english) 13 warcraft books/pocket books/short stories, Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, my studies' books, i watch TV series, etc.. The point is: it's very important to try and read in english to improve your skills, even though you'll only understand the book after reading it for the second or third time.

I've only just read the first one and it was excellent! A very gripping read, with the author building suspense brilliantly, and has left me wanting to buy the second book. It wasn't as good as Tolkien - the history just didn't feel as rich or deep. But it is the best fantasy book I've read in a long time.

I'm half way through the second book now, after re-reading the first book and deciding to read further. Must admit, I've been trying to ignore the TV series, but I'll probably get season 1 on DVD when it's cheaper.

I read the first book then saw the TV series then read the next three* books afterwards, and I don't think that seeing the TV series detracted from the later books for me - it's very close to the book in terms of plot so it doesn't lead to confusion over inconsistencies, and the characters are mostly the same (though with a few small changes that made me evaluate the book characters slightly differently, which was probably an improvement), and I didn't mind the characters being given faces and voices (I suppose I'm generally not a very visual reader so I didn't have problems with the TV series differing from strong images in my imagination).

(* counting the split-volume book 3 as one; I haven't got to the recently-released one yet, but it looks like it's out in paperback later this week, so I guess I might as well start that soon.)

The reviews for Book 4 haven't been great, anyone read it?

Where 4 = A Feast for Crows? I think I found it quite comparable to the earlier books, so if you find them adequately enjoyable then there's no reason not to read the later ones :)

(On a similar vein, I've recently read some stuff by Joe Abercrombie, who seems to be frequently compared to GRRM, so that might be a good place to look for anyone wanting more generally-not-very-magical fantasy with generally-a-bit-nasty characters but with more humour and less amateurish book covers (at least in the UK editions).)

Where 4 = A Feast for Crows? I think I found it quite comparable to the earlier books, so if you find them adequately enjoyable then there's no reason not to read the later ones :)

Yes A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons haven't received unanimously positive reviews, but as you say, I'll review them for myself :)

(On a similar vein, I've recently read some stuff by Joe Abercrombie, who seems to be frequently compared to GRRM, so that might be a good place to look for anyone wanting more generally-not-very-magical fantasy with generally-a-bit-nasty characters but with more humour and less amateurish book covers (at least in the UK editions).)

Will take a look

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...