Units Auto Attack Range Too Wide

RuleMaker

I don't really like how the mele units (short range) automatically start running towards the enemy when it gets "close". There should be an option to make them stand in a place, eventually attack if the enemy gets really close. Something like "passive", "aggressive" and "fortify" stances would be great. Like this I have all my units from my village move out just to kill a small group of enemies and then I have a chaotic formation which I don't really like. I would like the enemy to get close and eventually get killed by towers or some other long range units before the hand to hand battle begins.

Also, I've noticed I can select only 40 units at once, why is that? Is that limited by unit types or how does this mechanism function? Why is there such a limitation? (let me know if I should start a separate topic for this, or if it's already explained somewhere).

The above two things kinda make the gameplay a bit uncosistent.

I really like the game and it has a great potential! Ran across it back in the days when it was in a really early stage of development, units were not even implemented yet and even then I liked it. Today, again accidentally I returned and I had what to see! Huge progress made! Keep up the good work.

The 40 units thing I think was done for pathfinding. Other than pathfinding I'm not sure there is a rational argument for any specific number. I mean, if you're gonna have an epic phalanx battle you're gonna want more than 40 units in your phalanx. That can be adjusted later though, and I think 40 was chosen as some kind of happy medium in past discussions. As far as auto-attack, yeah, we still haven't implemented Stances yet. Plus there are some other things that should be done with the low-level unit AI that should prevent the current weird behaviors (of which there are many).

It's not for pathfinding (it's no worse (and maybe actually better) to move one group of 80 units rather than two groups of 40). I think I remember it being largely due to fitting all the unit icons in the UI, when it showed a separate icon per unit - maybe that's not relevant now and the restriction could be relaxed. (Probably a question for Brian :))

It's not for pathfinding (it's no worse (and maybe actually better) to move one group of 80 units rather than two groups of 40). I think I remember it being largely due to fitting all the unit icons in the UI, when it showed a separate icon per unit - maybe that's not relevant now and the restriction could be relaxed. (Probably a question for Brian :))

Right, now that I think about it, it was a UI issue. But now we group icons together, so the issue seems to have gone away, yet the 40 unit cap is still there.

Um, actually I did do it for performance reasons. We've had selection groups for a good while, so it's not a GUI issue. At one time, selecting even 40 units was too much for my computer, but since even AoK allowed 40 units at a time, I made it a full 40 units anyway. Perhaps pathfinder performance has improved enough to increase it.

• 1 month later...

Another alpha is out but the auto attack range is still to wide. This really ruins the gameplay. Having a "stand the ground" stance along with other stances is a must have to make a normal strategy. At some points I totally lose control and track of my units because some run after some citizens, some run to attack another units, even ignoring my command not to run after them. Lets say you want to gather a nice army for the attack and make a nice formation and some enemy citizen passes by in a radius of 2 km they will all run after it and destroy the whole formation and eventually run into a trap or enemy base.

We really need the stances, please move their implementation to the top of the schedule because I feel like the game would be much much more playable without my army running around the map chaotically without any command. At least stand the ground would be of much help.

Thanks for the hard work!

Changed to 64. (It doesn't have to be a power of two, just looked nice to me.)

It does. For eye-candy formations. And realistic ones.

Just imagine how your troops would look like if it was a prime like for example 37.

We really need the stances, please move their implementation to the top of the schedule because I feel like the game would be much much more playable without my army running around the map chaotically without any command. At least stand the ground would be of much help.

So post your wish in Alpha 6 thread.

Another alpha is out but the auto attack range is still to wide. This really ruins the gameplay. Having a "stand the ground" stance along with other stances is a must have to make a normal strategy. At some points I totally lose control and track of my units because some run after some citizens, some run to attack another units, even ignoring my command not to run after them. Lets say you want to gather a nice army for the attack and make a nice formation and some enemy citizen passes by in a radius of 2 km they will all run after it and destroy the whole formation and eventually run into a trap or enemy base.

Thanks for the hard work!

If not complete stances implemented by the next Alpha, it would be nice to adjust the unit AI to stop them from pursuing enemy units out of auto-attack range and to make their auto-attack range perhaps half of vision range radius. This would eventually be labeled as "Defensive" stance.

I added the STANCES discussion from the private Design forum to the public Development forum.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13725