Elven Buildings

Shield Bearer

The Siege of Angband wasn't a bunch of elves camping outside the gates 24/7 for hundreds of years. It was a wall of territories Morgoth couldn't cross... except he could, because his forces repeatedly left Angand and found ways around the Noldorin territories.

Anyway, I have The Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels, and Peoples of Middle-Earth. Anyone here have Unfinished Tales?

Oh, and I have the first two volumes of Lord of the Rings, but not Return of the King. The used bookstore didn't have that one... :unsure:

As for heroes, I think the standard is 3 per civ. The Noldor had way too many princes to include all of them.

Edited by Aldandil

Ewwww no thanks. I like Middle-Earth accurately depicted, please. That's why I don't want to see anything based on the movies. If it's just "Tolkien-clone generic fantasy" then I have 0% interest in it.

they WOULD be accurately depicted, just alongside civs based on a few other works of fantasy, for example, Hyruleans from The Legend of Zelda. the only civ i can see being a mix of tolkien and a few others would be dwarves since tolkien didnt go into as much detail with his dwarves as he did with men or elves

Edited by oshron

But how is it an accurate depiction of the setting, Arda, if it doesn't take place in Arda itself, and has a bunch of random guys from Warcraft/Warhammer/Wheel of Time/Star Wars/D&D/Harry Potter/Zelda/Conan/DBZ thrown in?

Personally I love Arda only as a whole, including the entire setting with all of its history, cosmology, and philosophy. I can't get excited at all about the individual bits and pieces in isolation, divorced from their entire context that made them who and what they are.

Even if you have some story explaining it, like "transdimensional portals that abducted people and dumped them into XYZ universe," I still wouldn't enjoy it in the least. It wouldn't be Arda.

And Tolkien did write enough detail about his dwarves to distinguish them from generic fantasy/D&D dwarves.

Edited by Aldandil

Yes, Tolkien's world is a complete world. It would be unrealistic, so to speak, to have all those bull looking orcs and trollocs and stuff. :P

I have many of Tolkien's works, excluding Christopher Tolkien's History...I need to get my hands on that somehow. Bookshops in India have no love for Tolkien, I had to hunt for most of them and finally order some. I've got the Millennium edition of LOTR, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, the Hobbit and some non-LOTR related works, like Roverandom and Tales from the Perilous Realm :)

For Elven architecture, I was thinking a cross between Gothic, Norse and Chinese architectural styles:

8.jpg

10904652.jpg

00Leon-cathedral.jpg

ChartresCutaway.jpg

793570_various_norse_buildings_2.jpg

Especially the curved roofs of the Chinese:

5.jpg

chinese_architecture_small.jpg

001.jpg

But how is it an accurate depiction of the setting, Arda, if it doesn't take place in Arda itself, and has a bunch of random guys from Warcraft/Warhammer/Wheel of Time/Star Wars/D&D/Harry Potter/Zelda/Conan/DBZ thrown in?

Personally I love Arda only as a whole, including the entire setting with all of its history, cosmology, and philosophy. I can't get excited at all about the individual bits and pieces in isolation, divorced from their entire context that made them who and what they are.

Even if you have some story explaining it, like "transdimensional portals that abducted people and dumped them into XYZ universe," I still wouldn't enjoy it in the least. It wouldn't be Arda.

And Tolkien did write enough detail about his dwarves to distinguish them from generic fantasy/D&D dwarves.

well, i had personally been imagining it as just having civs based on groups and works of fiction presented in a fantasy crossover rpg that i imagine. no bull-looking orks in that! :D the general idea would be for the random-map mode to be set in the crossover itself while separate scenarios and whatnot could take place JUST in tolkien's legendarium (for example, a noldor campaign in which the war of wrath is final climactic scenario)

thanks for correcting me on the thing with the dwarves ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...