Alternative Combat System

i like that idea, im thinking the last days in that topic, the second weapon like TW series, and see before in Sparta Ancien wars/ Fate of Hellas Series.

Some units carrying two weapons, Immortals are a good example.

There would be a distinction between different types of "secondary" weapons.

1. Volley: For instance, when something is thrown, then the unit closes with its primary weapon. Example: Roman Principes throws a pilum initially, then closes in for melee combat with his sword. If the target enemy is too close to throw pilum, then the Principes will just attack with his sword.

2. Defensive: For instance, when ranged units are set to Stand Ground, they'll switch to this weapon if their target enemy is too close to use their ranged weapon. Example: Archer switches to a knife when his target enemy is too close to use the bow.

3. Proactive: Can toggle between Primary and Secondary weapons whenever the player wants the unit to. Example: Persian Immortal can switch between Spear and Bow upon direction of the player.

There could be additional cases as well.

Alternative combat system...

• Add a general, like a hero that can heal itself, boosting morale like crazy but can be captured if hitpoints reach zero.
  • After the hitpoints reach zero, it turns into a wagon with cage. The captors can move it and ask for ransom, or army.
    If ransom paid, or request for army given, the general will appear near its own town center. While the resource or army will appear near captor's town center.
  • Players can free the general by attacking the wagon. The "former" general must be taken into the town centre to become "full-fledged" general once again.

I also like many features of the game below, I played it since long time ago when harddrive is still a luxury:

15nvwye.png

It has many intersting features, animated trees, roads, resources, etc.

Edited by majapahit

• 3 months later...

Hey guys! Sorry for my absence, but i'd like to express my humble opinion about this matter (i really appreciate discussions about this specific topic)...

@Mythos Then to most archers's, a knife would be a penalty (since a knife is useless, compared to what a bow can do). I see this as more of an annoying thing, unless arrow damage is significantly buffed (along with shield ability to ocasionally block arrows).

@Majapahit Nice idea, except for we have to rethink a thing: and if the enemy considers the hero to dangerous to be left alive and want to kill him? And if killing/ransoming a hero is implemented, we would have to think of ways of how to make it profitable both to ransom, to pay the ransoming charge and to bring the hero to the battle, instead of simply leaving him be in a highly secured town. (BTW, is that The Settlers I? I find it really looks like the second of the franchise).

• 2 weeks later...

Please just keep it like AOE 2. Of course that combat system can be improved too. You also have to realize that what looks cool is often times not the best for rts play, especially competitive (non scenario, high level 1v1 or 2v2) rts play.

While this may be true, you haven't demonstrated that the proposed systems here is not "best" for play.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's quite tough as a designer I think regarding the combat. Like mentioned in the thread some might not like "randomness", and like the click point at a single units kind of stuff. (though in the proposed system randomness plays a role, it is not the deciding factor). They remind me of those Korean gamers playing Starcraft ?and maybe Warcraft? on Arirang TV, I watch Arirang sometimes for fun or the annoy my family members. Anyway, that kind of gameplay* does not look appealing to me, but I can understand some people like it, Starcraft 2 seems to be the same (I have no idea) and it's very popular. *Game focussed on speed and a very harcore rock, paper, sciccors (correct me if wrong); I prefer a game with more tactics, hence Company of Heroes is my favorite commercial RTS game. For 0 A.D I would like to see the middle ground, to please as much people as possible.

Back to people not liking randomness; however, I do not believe the team should be conservative regarding the combat system. Because I do feel there is enough room for improvement. The team has already implemented some improvements, and I like how it's just not a Age of Empires clone (when I hadn't played it yet, I thought it was, and was less interested). The units upgrading and balancing is a great improvement for example, because in Age of Empires (1) at least, some units became useless.

On the other hand, it's important that the combat system doesn't get too complex, because that could scare away new players or old rts players.

I have some issues with combat that I haven't mentioned in my combat enhancement thread yet (so I put it here):

-it seems to be better to use a lot of ranged units (I thought of limited arrows, but that would certainly cause an outrage.)

-formations, but this is alpha (I would like units to stick together in formations someway)

-close combat units going after ranged units ineffectively; I mean going for miles behind a unit (ideas to improve: minimum range? Again limited arrows? Force them to fight when hit one time? Something else?)

-it's quite effective to just attack one soldier at a time, very arcadey (arcadey can be good, but in my opinion not with this) which I would prefer to see as something of the past, but maybe conservative gamers disagree (middle ground?)

Again just some ideas and opinions to improve. Since this is a free project I assume the objective is to make the best game possible with the time and manpower available and not just go for a good enough game to sell a few bucks. So I like to help and inspire, not force or pressure the team (sorry if I do! I don't mean to!), and I think this game has much potential to be even better than it is!