Age Of Empires Online

Tis a pity that a grand series is coming to such a sad end - Age of Empires 3 was, in my opinion, a step in the right direction (not accurately speaking, but artistically...). To see for yourself, check out the latest screenshots here . Cartoonifying is not the way to go - why not just use lower quality sprites in place of the desktop graphics?

Edited by tinoesroho

Some people with the beta like it, others think the gameplay isn't ready yet, and most non-beta testers just don't like the graphics.

I suspect it's going to struggle, although for the sake of future Age games I hope they make a profit out of it and continue with the series. The more I see the graphics the less they offend me, but none of the gameplay videos interest me at all, and that's a biggy. But it is free, and if marketed correctly they'll probably have millions of downloads, a percentage of which may splash out on new civs and techs. Lets see if we like it after release, we can't properly judge something without trying it first.

The graphics remind me of the The Settlers 3 & 4.

I hope they make some profit out of it, but on the other hand, I hope not; since it might encourage them to make more games in the same style.

wait and see. Stronghold Kingdoms was more fun than I thought it would be as well.

Edited by Tottel

Eh, I honestly don't mind the graphics - I'm always for something colourful in an era full of murky dark visuals, and I like the exaggerated animations. From what I've heard from people in the Beta it doesn't take that long to get used to them. I don't remember AOE games being particularly revered for their graphics, either - sure, they're always pretty but it's not a major selling point. I think it's easy to forgive RE for thinking the same and concentrating on gameplay instead.

I've been very sympathetic to this game, just because of how much hate has been directed at it. People are seriously wishing ill on RE just for one game they barely know anything about and haven't played yet, they're making fun of developers on the official forums and so forth. I really don't see what's so offensive about it. I hate MMO but again, from what I've heard the "MMO" aspect has been very played up in the marketing and, ultimately, it's just the same AOE game with a few things added to it that are entirely optional. I don't like the non-historical element but AOE games have never been accurate. I guess ultimately I feel that considering it's free and you're not being nickle and dimed it's nothing to go up in arms about.

Especially after seeing the announcements about the Egyptians I've started to think that the art style reminds me quite a bit about Asterix and Obelix, which is a good thing :) Not sure if that's a good thing for a game based on AoE, but if you try and look beyond that :D I guess they'd actually have more success among hardcore gamers without that connection, and for others I'm not sure how much the AoE brand is worth. In either case I prefer to try and keep an open mind about it until I've tried it :D (Don't judge a book by its cover as the expression goes ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Robot Entertainment are no longer working on AOEO... it's now being developed by GPG, the developers of Supreme Commander and lead by Chris Taylor, known for being a fan of AOE2. He also designed Total Annihilation, which alongside Age of Empires is one of my favourite games.

http://www.ageofempiresonline.com/Articles/Blogs-2-24-2011.aspx

They say:

This was always in the plan. We've even had some GPG guys down to the studio to get them trained up as far back as last fall. When we opened RE, our goal was to work on our own original games. We announced Orcs Must Die! this morning, and will have more info on future games relatively soon ;)

I suppose it makes some sense - the Robot developers are familiar with the Bang engine so they're the best people to get AoEO up and running, for which Microsoft can give them lots of money that can help fund their original projects, and then someone else can come in and do all the dull money-making exploitation of players with premium content (the mentioned Booster Packs and Vanity Packs).

(Incidentally, I've always liked orcs, so I don't see why they must die.)

Not orcs, but goblins: http://www.bigblockgames.com/games/goblin/ ... In short, while Orcs Must Die! is about humans (I think they're mostly human from what I've seen at least, a few elves as well) killing orcs, "Goblin War Machine" is about goblins doing the same favor to humans :) I found it kinda funny that I found the latter the same day I'd read the announcement about Orcs Must Die! :)

I've started to think that the art style reminds me quite a bit about Asterix and Obelix

That's pretty much exactly what I thought the first time I saw these graphics too, its been a while since I read the comic books but it made me think of them almost straight away.

Edited by Maffia

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like AOE 3, and still play AOE 2 occassionally. I forget about it -- and get amazed when I pick it up, by the fact that's there's still a community playing it out there (voobly instead of zone atm). I'd give it a try, but can't see how it'd work yet.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm installing the BETA now. I'll let you guys know how it is. ;)

Apparently it is Build #5164. (4/13/2011)

The new build is here! We’ve completely overhauled the Greek campaign with new tutorials and brand new exciting missions in the early game. We’ve made big gains with cleaning up the UI plus better balanced items and stores. Also, we have greatly improved server stability for PvP!

In fact, there’s so much…we can’t fit it all here!

For more info, check out

http://forums.ageofempiresonline.com/forums/1/41175/ShowThread.aspx