Fog rendering

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, sounds like consensus :)

I don't really want to try implementing this before sorting out the graphics compatibility stuff, though - it'd save half the work here if the compatibility fallback paths were removed first. Probably best to wait and do all the graphics work at once.

Sounds good, with the new softer fog it's still a big improvement from the last release.

• 5 months later...

sorry for digging out old topics, but i have another suggestion concerning the FoW: do not let it be revealed jumpily, i mean do not let it go back tile by tile when a unit enters unexplored areas... rather make it draw back smoothly like in age of empires online (if there's one good thing about aoeo it's probably their FoW :)):

i guess you don't have to change the way the simulation works technically, it's just a matter of the looks... :) your thoughts? feasible?

Edited by Android GRRR

If I remember correctly from when testing AoEO a while ago, it was just an optional graphical effect and didn't influence gameplay (and e.g. buildings would still pop into visibility in a tile-based way). Don't really know how it was implemented, but I'd presume it's basically a very-high-resolution texture stretched across the entire map, and on each frame they'd fade it back to FoW colour and then draw thousands of circles onto it (one per unit/building) and then use that as the FoW/SoD texture. Maybe that's wrong, but if not then it doesn't sound too complicated, though performance would most likely be unacceptable on low-end hardware, so it'd have to be an optional extension (and probably lower priority than features that will affect all users).