0 A.D. Rise of the East Mod

Kimball

• 6 months later...

excuseme for trolling, but

what happens with the file?????

i go to page and get ....

The file you are trying to view (Infantry Demo Release - china.zip) uploaded by WFG-Kimball has been deleted and is no longer available. This may have occured at the uploaders request, or it may have occured because it violated the sites Terms of Service. If this is a mistake and you are the uploader of this file and would like it re-activated, please contact us with the details.

If you would like to view other available files, we suggest you browse the download list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, this is my first post here, so if I broke any forum rules, please bare with me. If I make any mistake, kindly point out to me and I will try to fix it.

Some, uhh, suggestions on the Han army, I guess. Mostly historical stuff, which I think y'all already know. But I will voice it nontheless.

1) Han army, for the most part, still rely on leather armor for defense. The leather is lacquered, so it has a black appearance. Iron armor did exists, but generally reserved for high ranking officers.

2) Base on the evidence of the Han period terracotta, Han soldier can be divided into three class - light/unarmored infantry, medium infantry with only a sleeveless cuirass, and heavy infantry with sleeved armour and full helm. Greaves and other limb defense are uncommon. Same applies for cavalries.

200812822132519559.jpg

3) The jian sword was commonly used by Chinese swordsmen during the early Han, but quickly superseded by the Huan Shou Dao (環首刀/环手刀) , a straight, single-edged dao with a ring-pommel. BTW, early Han still use some bronze weapon.

21622b0acc7820d17f9adf760d069b56.jpg

4) The ge (戈) dagger-axe were not really used by the Han Chinese anymore, being mostly replaced by the Ji (戟) halberd. Shorter, one handed version of the Ji also exists, used by the swordsman.

5) Chinese polearms include Ji halberd, mao (矛) spear, pi () also spear, but with a longer blade for slashing attack, and sha (铩).

8aca095135ff12074df947de62a0a7f3.jpg

This is a Han period sha polearm.

5) While Chinese are famous for their Chu Ko Nu or repeating crossbow, it is a niche weapon at best. Good ol' single shot crossbow are more commonplace. Single shot crossbow are called Qiang Nu (強弩). Stronger infantry variant was called Jue Zhang Nu (蹶张弩), which must be drawn with the aid of your leg. Cavalry use smaller hand crossbow (Shou Nu/ 手弩) instead. The Han archers were predominantly crossbowmen. In one of the Han Dynasty armament records (《武库永始四年兵车器集簿》), there were 520000 crossbows in the arsenal, but only 70000 bows.

6) Han Chinese still employ chariot in limited numbers. More common was the Wu Gang Che (武鋼車/武钢车) war wagon. The Wu Gang Che formed into wagon fort to defend against enemy cavalry. The wagon were brimmed with spears on all sides, as well as firing ports for crossbowmen. Something like a mobile arrow tower.

7) Han Chinese invented papermaking as well as blast furnace. Steel weapon were quite common but not enough to equip entire army with (Obviously). Roman also used steel in their armors so this isn't really something unique.

8) Han Chinese did not use horse armor until the very end of the Dynasty (Three Kingdoms Period). So no Chinese cataphract, sadly.

9) There are no intact Eastern Han armor survived through the ages. Plenty survived from the Western Han period, however. From what little info I could recall, Eastern Han armor improved from the Western Han armor with armored collar, groin guard and thigh guard components.

10) Han period Chinese used two different type of shields. Aside from the normal sized shield, they also used a metal buckler called Gou Xiang (钩镶). The Gou Xiang is too small to block arrows, but quite useful in parrying melee attack.

W020121212352503481842.jpg

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 2

Thanks! :lol2:

One of the best things about Han Dynasty is the abundance of pottery building models, which provided great resources to building modellers.

Pottery_palace.JPG

Palace

pottery%2520tower%25206.JPG

Eastern Han fortified manor house with watch tower

800px-Earthenware_architecture_models%2C

This is one of twelve pictures showing architectural models dated to the Chinese Eastern Han Dynasty (25–220 AD), made of earthenware with a green lead glaze, featured at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. The items include:

• Three watchtowers
  • House with a courtyard
  • Granary tower
  • A large stove
  • A mill
  • A wellhead with a bucket
  • Domesticated animal pens
  • A square duck pond with rails

566px-Nswag%2C_dinastia_han%2C_modellino

Late_Eastern_Han_pottery_castle.JPG

A Wu Bao (塢堡), civilian fortress for defense against banditry,

I've read the Team Design Document, the Scion really did a superb job in researching the history and culture of Han Dynasty. There's however some inaccuracy in the nomenclature of various Rise of the East unit. Some term are too 'modern' and did not exists back then.

Dao Fu Shou (刀斧手): Could be Jian Dun Bing (劍盾兵)meaning sword-and-shield infantry. The 'Fu (斧)' means axe, which were rarely used by the Han soldier.

Chang Mao Bing (長矛兵) is fine as it is, but Ji Halberd is more common in the records. So Chang Ji Bing(长戟兵). Common polearms of this period is Mao (矛, spear), Ji (戟, Halberd), Pi (铍), and Sha (铩).

*Ge(戈) is no longer commonly used.

Nu Shou: 'Nu (弩)’ means crossbow, so this unit shouldn't be using composite bow. I still think the bowmen and crossbowmen should be separated into two distinct units, which will be Nu Shou (弩手, crossbowman) and Gong Shou (弓手, bowman) respectively. OR it could be called Gong Nu Shou (弓弩手), which denotes archer but could use either bow or crossbow.

*The Chinese were not great archer as they were from an agrarian culture. They employ lot and lots and LOTS of crossbow to make up for this, though.

Tu Qi (突騎) is fine as it is. Note that there's an elite cavalry unit in the Han army called You Zhou Tu Qi (幽州突騎, which mean 'Cavalry from Youzhou').

Nu Qi (弩騎) is okay. The Han Dynasty certainly make use of Crossbow cavalry, but not as common as horse archer 'Gong Qi' (弓騎). Kinda difficult to reload a crossbow on a galloping horse.

Shang Ren (商人): Is okay, but could be called 'Xing Shang' (行商) as well, meaning 'Roving Merchant'.

Nv (女): Could be 'Nv Ren' (女人) or 'Nv Zi' (女子), meaning woman. Could also be called 'Ming Nv' (民女), meaning female civilian.

Ru (儒): Should be 'Ru Sheng' (儒生) or 'Ru Shi' (儒士), meaning Confucian scholar.

*The Chinese are always a secular culture, and their Confucian scholar does not generally perform miracles or healing. The 'mythical healing' shtick were performed by Fang Shi '方士' which is shaman, alchemist, doctor and Feng Shui rolled into one. Of course, only their medicine sort of worked. The Fang Shi

gradually turned into the religious Taoist and the secular herbalist.

Shang Chuan (商船) and Yu Chuan (漁船) is fine.

Zhuang Chuan (撞船): No such thing existed, because it means 'Ship Accident'. The Chinese warship which use ramming attack is called ’Meng Chong (艨艟).

Lou Chuan (樓船) is good.

Xiao Fang Chuan (消防船): Xiao Fang (消防) actually means 'Firefighting' , which is the complete opposite of what this warship is suppose to do. Correct term for a kamikaze fire ship is 'Huo Chuan' (火船).

*Fire ship was first used during The Battle of Red Clift, which *MIGHT* be too late for the intended time-frame.

**Other lesser conventional warship to consider are "Ge Chuan" (戈船)for Western Han or “Dou Jian” (鬥艦) for Eastern Han.

Tan She Qi (彈射器): This term is modern and thus incorrect. A stone catapult is simply called 'Pao' (砲) or 'Pao Che' (砲車). A more specific term is 'Pi Li Che' (霹靂車, Thundering cart), which were developed during the Three Kingdoms period.

*While Stone thrower were used before, the Han Dynasty army does not seems to use it at all, at least not until the Three Kingdoms period.

Nu Pao (弩砲): Giant crossbow that shoots spear-sized bolt should be called 'Chuang Nu' (床弩). Mobile version mounted on cart is called 'Nu Che' (弩車).

*Note that the Chinese also employ battering ram, which is called 'Chong Che' (衝車), as well as War Wagon ‘Wu Gang Che' (武剛車), and light chariot 'Qing Che' (輕車).

**Also note that during the Han Dynasty, the main adversary of the Chinese were the nomadic Xiong Nu , which did not settle in one place nor build fortification. With enemies like this, there's no need for advanced siege engine. While siege engine existed before and during Han Dynasty, it did not see much use, and most textual records simply skim over the details such as construction, material, etc.

My best guess for Han siege engine are simple traction trebuchet for their stone-thrower and giant crossbow for their arcuballista/bolt shooter. The giant crossbow is mounted on a three-wheel cart. (As mentioned in the writings of Mo Tzu).

Hero character I would like to recommend are Huo Qu Bing (霍去病, cavalry-booster) and 'Li Ling' (李陵, archer-booster).

I would also like to recommend the aforementioned Eastern Han 'You Zhou Tu Qi' (幽州突騎) and 'Ji Zhou Qiang Nu'(冀州强弩, Strong Crossbow from Ji Zhou), which were crossbowmen, as champion unit.

There are also 'Jue Zhang Shi' (蹶张士), elite crossbowman which is heavily armored, and carries a sword and shield on top of his crossbow. The 'Jing Chu Yong Shi' (荆楚勇士, The Braves from Jing Chu), which were (probably) similarly armed as the Jue Zhang Shi,but also used Ji Halberd.

Of course, Yu Ling Gu Er (羽林孤兒)the Qi Men (期门) and Yong Gan Shi (勇敢士), etc are good too.

More on Chinese buildings later.

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 3

Building:

Archaic term for Han period buildings are hard to come by, so this is a WIP:

House: Was classified into 'lǘ lǐ' (闾里) during Han Dynasty, which is 6-25 housing unit. The term for the building itself can be called 'Ming Zhai' (民宅).

Market : 'Shi' (市).

Corral: ‘Shou Quan’ (獸圈) is correct.

Palace: 'Gong Dian' (宮殿).

City Wall:'Yong' (墉) is correct but rarely used. "Cheng Qiang" (城牆) is a more common (modern) term. ”Cheng Yuan"(城垣)sounds more archaic.

Watch Tower: 'Wang Lou' (望樓)

Defense Tower:'Jian Lou' (箭樓 meaning arrow tower)

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...