0 A.D. Rise of the East Mod

Kimball

How about the Tocharians; the mysterious white/Europoid people that helped spread Buddhism in China. And let's not forget about the nomads of the east: the (proto-)Mongols, the Scythians and the Turks (eg. the Tartars, Uyghurs, etc). Unfortunately, we do not know if the Xiongnu (and/or the Huns) were proto-Mongolian, Turkic, or both...

Oh and should an Indian civilization be included, someone should be able to make an Indo-Greek faction. :)

Edited by Fionn
  • Like 1

The separate forum allowed the team to operate privately in preparation for the release and have control over groups permissions. More importantly though, we were able to escape from use of IPB. I gotta be honest, I hate this forum software. :)

Oh, so it's all about secrecy and tyrannical control over "your" forumites, and an irrational hatred of IPB, is that it?

Just kidding, that all makes sense. :D

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested, here are a couple of new screenshots:

longjivillage.jpg

pTAvv.jpg

One thing you may have noticed that stands out in the screenshots above is our introduction of paddy farms. As an alternative to traditional wheat farms that other factions can build, the Chinese may construct paddy farms. They are a bit more expensive but they replenish faster than wheat farms, allowing the player to task more gatherers on it without having to worry about their farms depleting rapidly.

• 4 weeks later...

This is very cool and different. I'm glad you decided to work on one civilization for now instead of three so that it'd be more polished. I'm expecting great things from this, and I hope there are some cool historical tidbits whether they be articles or units.

• 2 months later...

Today, we are proud to announce the first design team dedicated to 0 A.D. Scion Development is a collection of ambitious developers and game enthusiasts who have come together to develop third-party content for Wildfire Games' real-time strategy title. Our group of talented, tight-knit designers donate their free time to development with a common goal in mind: to contribute to the 0 A.D. community and further the limits of the game.

After extensive construction of the team's logistic aspects, we are thrilled to announce our debut project, The Rise of the East, introducing a brand new faction to the game: China. As a team, our mission is to deliver quality modifications and scenarios to the game community, all while adhering to a policy of high expectations and strong work ethics. Through our dedication to development, we hope to become an integral part the 0 A.D. community.

Thanks for your project! 0 A.D. is a great game, and I think it is a very good idea to add the Han Dynasty of China into this game.

The figures of infantrymen are close to the Han style. Have you seen the pottery figurines of the Han Dynasty? It will be better that many details of figures in the game can be improved. Buildings and other facilities need improvement, too.

I am very interested in the culture of the Han Empire and the things related to the Han army. Perhaps I can give some suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Rob, how is this going? The bits and pieces you have so far are really beautiful. Keep up the good work, I wanna play this bad!

Well, I'll be the first to admit that the team has hit a slight speed bump. Our forum crashed for a few months and the team hasn't quite recovered from the lack of communication yet.

Though we haven't given up, we could certainly use all the help we can get!

• 3 months later...

Would the localization for the Chinese names be changed from Mandarin Pinyin to Old Chinese?

http://www.eastling.org/oc/oldage.aspx (only works w/ Traditional characters)

兵營 - praŋ ɢʷeŋ

刀斧手 - taaw paʔ hnjɯwʔ

長矛兵 - taŋʔ mu praŋ

弩手 - naaʔ hnjɯwʔ

(However, those pronunciations are Zhou-era pronunciations)

• 3 weeks later...

hey fans, glad to hear you like the mod so much that you want it to be finished.

Well to speak the truth, we are more like in a sort of coma.^^

The mod is still in our minds to be finished, but i don't know if it will be soon or later, but it will be once. i promise!

Awesome! Thanks for your update. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The team is currently struggling a bit, but be assured that we haven't forgotten about it completely. We're just very busy people!

Also, if you've tried to register on our forums recently and either haven't been able to or were never approved by an administrator, please contact one of us. Matthijs and I were getting several emails a day from bots registering and it just got to the point of being obnoxious. As soon as I figure out how to keep bots from registering (shouldn't be too difficult, just takes some time), I can open up registrations again. In the interim, you're going to have to have one of us approve you manually.

You can email support(a)sciondevelopment,com and one of us will help you out.

Thanks for your feedback guys, it's always good to hear from our supporters!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well since we've treated our followers on Twitter and ModDB to some screenshots of our latest content over the last week and a half, we figured we might as well post some of the new stuff here for you guys. ;)

AhvBthdCAAE9zPB.jpg

It's been a long time...

AiMoFHpCEAA5CXQ.jpg

Edge of the City by MrEmjer

To keep up to date with our latest progress, follow us on Twitter or ModDB!*

*For best results, use both.