• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I quickly blazed through the read of this topic, and I think we need to start at square one - if I'm right, things in-game have changed even since the first post of this thread.

Where are we on this? All the posts are a few months old. And it looks like that atlas guy hasn't posted anything but the "give me stuff" one.

If we (yes, we :) ) want an official trailer, what do we want in it?

Just captures of gameplay? Inclusion of artwork, concepts?

Do we want it to be a Promo/Teaser or a gameplay trailer?

Any kind of text elements (quotes, stingers, silly one-liners?)

Edited by Quacker

I agree with Jeru, it needs to inspire people to download 0AD and contribute.

It should include call-to-action and informative text elements, assuming the viewer doesn't have speakers on. Possibly 0AD music as the main soundtrack, with in-game sound effects adding life to the gameplay clips?

Stupid Safari crashed so I lost my post...

I like what you said in the original post- having several different videos.

Who here can write up a script? Something talking about 0AD in layman's terms (so that your mom would understand), and then a "call to action", asking said mom for her help in making 0AD, whether it be through her dormant AI skills or through her cold, hard cash.

I think there should also be an "epic" trailer, like the one from 2007, but updated to show off the latest and greatest.

What about a history piece? WFG has been around for what, 10-12 years? Maybe showing the project's progression on the part of those who have put in many hours, for free?

edit: Haha nice Pureon, looks like we're on the same track ;-)

Edited by Quacker

Main points for the contribution piece:

• 0 A.D. (pronounced zero ey-dee) is an RTS game, set in antiquity, spanning 6 civs. (Show in-game artwork, perhaps concepts where appropriate. Expand about this in a gameplay trailer targeted to gamers).
  • Why is it called 0 A.D.? 0 A.D. is a year that never existed, just as the reality portrayed in the game is historical fiction. What would have happened if all the civs were pitted against each other at their prime?
  • 0 A.D. runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS. So you can play with your friends even if you run Linux and they don't.
  • 0 A.D. is free, open-source software. It is free of charge and always will be, but also, you can redistribute it, modify it and even use parts of it your own projects. This way, everyone can learn about game development and ancient history.
  • 0 A.D. is still in development and needs help in the following areas: (We need to decide on a list).
  • Wrap-up: 0 A.D. - History is yours for the taking.

Question for the artists/modelers-

How feasible is it to whip up a Linux Penguin, Apple, and Windows logos to place in game, to comically show off the cross-platform goodness?

Jeru, good main points. I like their order. Do we have a staff writer, or someone who can make a script from these? I could, but I'm certainly not much of a writer.

Can you provide an example script of a related project?

In-game screenshot of a CC logo: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Case_Studies/0_A.D.

Haha name a related project.

Um...let's see. Most of what we've done here has been corporate videos, promos and such for companies. Usually 4-8 minutes long. I'm guessing this (now dubbed Overview Video) is going to be about 30-60 sec. I'd make it something along these lines:

Embellished, generalized words about history/gaming.

Sentence or two about the year that never existed/historical fiction of the game. "What would have happened if all the civs were pitted against each other at their prime?"

Transitional sentence to cross-platform feature.

Sentence or two about open-source (read: FREE and REDISTRIBUTEABLE!) and why it's open-source.

Transitional sentence bringing the call-to-action of needing help in the following areas: (list)

History is yours for the taking. (-this is the "motto," correct?)

I do like the quote on that link, Jeru. Maybe use part of it in the "embellished" section.

"Games should allow gamers to learn how their games work, change them, share them and redistribute their works. This freedom to tinker is what Free, Open-Source Software (FOSS) is all about and so we hope a lot of people tinker with 0 A.D." — Wildfire Games

edit- Searched around the site and this page has some nice examples of embellished generalizations (the creed) http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?p=1728 Why reinvent the wheel when there are some things already made?

Edited by Quacker

Rough Cut 1

It is a moment in time that never was.

It is the spring of the world, and the dawn of history.

It is a glimpse into an era when the empires of the world are at their zenith.

It is but a breath of an age when mighty rulers wield rods of iron and brazen swords;

to demonstrate that they are indeed the greatest ancient civilization!

You hold the power of a empire in your hand.

You have no restriction because of your operating system.

You have full access to the game, without cost. The power to edit, change, enjoy as you want.

You need to step up, and make this a reality.

Visit wildfiregames.com to find out how to help. Positions are needed: (list on-screen)

History is yours for the taking.

Something like that, perhaps. The transition feels a bit corny, but we've got something to work with.

Rough Cut 2

Imagine a moment in time that never was

(On-screen: Time axis animation showing somehow that 1 B.C. is followed by 1 A.D. and that 0 A.D. is being added artificially).

when six civilizations were each at their zenith.

(On-screen: Map of the 6 civs on parchment as in the Facebook page. Fade to in-game shots of various building sets & biomes.)

Imagine the freedom to learn from a game, change it and share your creations.

(On-screen: Gameplay shots, with overlays on the bottom fading in and out. First, logos of Windows, Linux and Mac and the words "cross-platform"; Next, logos of GNU and Creative Commons and the words "Free, open-source software").

Gain experience in game development.

(On-screen: Shots of the actor viewer, wireframes of buildings and units and then their textured versions, a shot of the pathfinding visualization etc.).

Visit play0ad.com to contribute.

(On-screen: "Volunteer openings:" & List)

0 A.D. - History is yours for the taking.

(On-screen: 0 A.D. logo & motto. Secondary logos: WFG and the other stuff like GNU, CC, the operating systems)

Rough Cut 2

(On-screen: Time axis animation showing somehow that 1 B.C. is followed by 1 A.D. and that 0 A.D. is being added artificially).

This sounds good, but is much easier said than done (I think I have a rough idea of what you're imagining). We ought to opt for something a bit simpler.

Also, let's go with a simpler word than "zenith." It sounds rustic and all, but we're not in the business of confusing anyone; especially our large non-English speaking audience.

If this is going to be anything like the original trailer, let's also exclude the "volunteer openings." This video is likely to outlast our necessity for contributors, because our videos tend to be quite sparse.

Yay! *Dances*

Rob: Yes, it is super-hard, but everyone keeps pointing it out all the time. Might as well preempt them.

I agree re: zenith and I think we need to strike a balance... No video will be truly timeless but of course we need to avoid making a video that will expire within a short time.

If I get what you're going for with the 1BC -> 1AD with 0AD popping up, that's not terribly difficult in after effects. Basically just a motion graphic, am I right?

Swap "zenith" for "peak"?

Rob, did you want something instead of "volunteer openings" (phrase change) or not have the list at all, but maybe rather a "contribute now" type idea?

I think we need to provide a list of areas of contribution, rather than specific positions. (Gameplay programming, AI scripting, animation, ...)

And there are different ways to accomplish this motion graphic, I am sort of apprehensive about pointing out any because I will probably not be implementing them and I don't want to suggest something really implausible.

I would like that motion graphic to appear on some parchment or papyrus.

We could opt for something along the lines of "Check x page to see what contribution opportunities are available!" instead. If we list specific positions, we're bound to encounter applicants long after they're filled.

Yes, I agree. Could work with video annotations.