Translations:General

Huh? How does the language of the entry determine notability of the subject? The only reference I see to language in that guideline is "sources may encompass published works in all forms and media, and in any language," which seems to confirm that. It would be ridiculous to claim, for example, that a famous event didn't occur in e.g. German or Finnish, just because it happened in an English-speaking part of the world.

It's not directly in the language itself but in the language version of Wikipedia. The German one, as a second largest Wikipedia language version, presses more than other language versions on quality of articles. AFAIK they have one of the strongest requierements.

So to say it clearly:

Please get to know local rules before translating articles among Wikipedia language versions.

I'm trying to translate to portuguese right now. The page isn't large, so it'll not take long, or at least i hope so. By the way, i'm having problems to find words for 'Snapshot' and 'resource shuttling', i don't know what these words means and Google translator can't help with it, can someone explain me the meaning?

Aleksandr explained "snapshot" well.

"Resource shuttling" is when a unit gathers resources, like fruit or chopped wood or chunks of gold, and then carries them to the appropriate building, and then dumps them there, and then returns to the original site to gather some more and repeat the process.

Here's a parcial translating of the original page. I tried to be very loyal to the original page, if anyone needs fixing, just say...

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_A.D._%28Jogo_eletr%C3%B4nico%29

Good work, Pedro. :ok:(y)

EDIT: As Brightgalrs is telling under me (but with no link), article was moved to 0 A.D.

Edited by Rasunadon

About the title, i thought that putting "0 A.D." could confuse with something more, forgetting i was in portuguese wiki, years in portuguese aren't with 'A.D.', but with 'D.C', sorry!

There aren't any natural words for 'snapshot' in brazillian portuguese, choosing to translate can create misunderstandings, so i decided to keep it in english.

About 'resource shuttling', thanks for the explanation, i'll fix it.

the new link: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_A.D.

I'd like to keep the writing "0 A.D." in all languages and the pronunciation be [the local word for "zero"] + [the local sound for the letter "A"] + [the local sound for the letter "D"].

That is what I did in Hebrew - When discussing the game in Hebrew I call it efes ey di. (Hebrew borrowed the pronunciation of most Latin letters from British English, except for X, which is curiously pronounced iks. This is probably from German.)

This is in accordance with the convention for other loanwords in Hebrew like "mp3", which is pronounced em pi shalosh, where shalosh is Hebrew for "three". If other languages have other translation conventions, I am willing to consider them as well.

That is what I did in Hebrew - When discussing the game in Hebrew I call it efes ey di. (Hebrew borrowed the pronunciation of most Latin letters from British English, except for X, which is curiously pronounced eeks.)

"X" is pronounced the same in German.

But I refer to the game as "zero ay di". I just imagine pronouncing it "null ah deh". Sounds ridicolous.

Thanks, SMST, I just theorized it myself, looked it up on the German Wikipedia and added that to my post. Iks wouldn't be the only loanword from German in modern Hebrew by a long shot.

Tell you what - I am willing to let localization teams translate the name of the game however they like.

Aren't games like Call of Duty still called "Call of Duty" in languages other than English? Maybe not.

I think so too. You can see it f.e. in articles at Wikipedia where names of articles are Call of Duty not depending on the chosen language. Local translation are written only for non-English-speakers.

One another example for all of them: article Age of Empires at German wiki starts: "Age of Empires (englisch für „Zeitalter der Weltreiche“)..." and later in text is "Age of Empires" used to refer to the game.

Edited by Rasunadon

I think what he's trying to say is that the letters A and D are pronounced differently in other languages so they should use their local pronunciation.

Yes (and also the number "zero") but SMST says that in German this would come across as ridiculous, and so the original English pronunciation should be retained. This may be true for other languages as well.

I had a go at translating a bit of the Wikipedia page into French. I only got as far as the introduction, as it was harder than I thought. I speak (and write) both English and French fluently, but I do find translation pretty hard. The most difficult being to convey the original meaning without creating awkward and un-elegant sentences. My translation is pretty loose, but I think it is better this way, as the main information is still there, and the aforementioned awkwardness is somewhat avoided. I'll do some more at some point.

Aren't games like Call of Duty still called "Call of Duty" in languages other than English? Maybe not.

yes, but 'Call of Duty' are english words, so the game mantains the same english name all around the world. Instead 0 is a number and A.D. are latin words (Anno Domini). In Italy, where the language is derived mostly from latin, i think it's more natural read the title in italian than in english: ˈdzɛro a di'

Just my thought ;)

huh. Just FYI, I do refer to it as Null Ah Deh, and have yet to hear any comment that it sounds ridiculous :)

Null A.D. sounds wrong to me, but there we go with different opinions.:)

Personally, I don't think the game title should be translated, as most games (at least in German) are not, either.

Null A.D. sounds wrong to me, but there we go with different opinions.:)

Personally, I don't think the game title should be translated, as most games (at least in German) are not, either.

I second this as another lonely German here, because Null A.D. sucks indeed in our language! :D

Edited by Almin

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes, but 'Call of Duty' are english words, so the game mantains the same english name all around the world. Instead 0 is a number and A.D. are latin words (Anno Domini). In Italy, where the language is derived mostly from latin, i think it's more natural read the title in italian than in english: ˈdzɛro a di'

Really? I always thought B.C. was "Before Christ" and A.D. was "After Death"...

But i agree with you, it's more natural for us (Brasil) to say "zɛroʊ ə deɪ", especially for the older people who hadn't much contact with english.

Really? I always thought B.C. was "Before Christ" and A.D. was "After Death"...

But i agree with you, it's more natural for us (Brasil) to say "zɛroʊ ə deɪ", especially for the older people who hadn't much contact with english.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini ;)

Because BC is the English abbreviation for Before Christ, it is sometimes incorrectly concluded that AD means After Death, i.e., after the death of Jesus. If that were true, the thirty-three or so years of his life would not be in any era

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have finished to translate the 0ad wikipedia page in french. It is very similar to the english one : fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_A.D.

A few notes may be missing.

PS : would it be possible to send an email to people posting in this topic when 0ad is ready for translation ?

Edited by Baronsed