Minor issues / wishes

fabio

Here are some minor issues and wishes that may be implemented:

1. FIXED in alpha3 - default HOTKEY MAPPINGS should not overlap with other common system key mappings: e.g.: hotkey.bigscreenshot = "Ctrl+Alt+F2" on linux switches to console (maybe use F3);
  2. FIXED in alpha3 - when a screenshot is captured a message should appear to notice the user and also add where the screenshot is located;
  3. FIXED in alpha3 - all files created by 0ad (cache, screenshots, ...) have the x (execute) bit set. They should have the default mask;
  4. (minor usability) the developer overlay menu should have all elements unchecked by default, i.e. restrict camera should be changed to something like no limit camera and be unchecked, so that checked elements means something different from the default;
  5. there are many nice models and textures but with the restrict camera option set (which should be a debugging option) one can't zoom to see them; it should be possible to zoom more by default (without letting enter on higher buildings);
  6. FIXED in alpha2 - the fishing demo map should have the "endless" mode;
  7. the Escape key doesn't work, it should bring up the menu;
  8. when the menu is displayed the game should be paused (if in singlepayer mode), and the pause button removed from the menu.
  9. FIXED in alpha3 - the F10 key to open the menu strangely doesn't work an all maps, e.g. it works with Arcadia but not with Arcadia II.

Edited by fabio

1.-4. Agreed on everything.

5. You can already zoom in pretty far with the default zoom settings. I really don't know how zooming in further will improve the look of the game when the default min zoom already stretches a lot of the textures.

6. You can continue to play the game even if you've "won." I don't know why people keep asking for an "endless mode" when you can choose 'No' when it asks you if you want to leave the game. Essentially "endless mode" is already implemented. Perhaps we can make this more intuitive somehow? Perhaps the wording could be made more clear.

7. Absolutely. Originally when hitting the ESC key it would want you to close the game, which was bad. I personally would want ESC to escape out of a selection or close a menu rather than opening one. Maybe F1 for the menu?

8. Agreed.

5. You can already zoom in pretty far with the default zoom settings. I really don't know how zooming in further will improve the look of the game when the default min zoom already stretches a lot of the textures.
I was meaning zooming further to see the face of units, e.g.:

http://zaynar.co.uk/0ad-pub/texturecomparison.png

6. You can continue to play the game even if you've "won." I don't know why people keep asking for an "endless mode" when you can choose 'No' when it asks you if you want to leave the game. Essentially "endless mode" is already implemented. Perhaps we can make this more intuitive somehow? Perhaps the wording could be made more clear.
From a user point of view it is not nice to see the message "You won the game, do you want to leave?" just after starting it. It only require to add
"GameType":"endless" 

to the map:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/8234

7) F10 opens the menu currently.

This also strangely doesn't work an all maps, e.g. it works with Arcadia but not with Arcadia II.

I was meaning zooming further to see the face of units, e.g.:

http://zaynar.co.uk/0ad-pub/texturecomparison.png

99% of players would not want to zoom in that far in a standard game. Why would you when it makes the game look horrible? The same thing would happen with AOEO or AOE3 if you zoomed in that far--they'd look horrible. The camera will be untethered for scenario cut scenes.