Civ: Macedonians (Macedones, Seleucids, Ptolemies)

Mythos_Ruler

Nice modding work! I'll probably make some custom helmets and textures (shields and body). I have quite a few issues of Ancient Warfare Magazine that have awesome references. I highly recommend the magazine, btw. I wrote a few blogs for them, but stopped due to my schedule.

Another aside: I am starting to convert all portrait icons to this paradigm:

Red player color = Mercenaries

Blue player color = All non-Mercenaries

I've done this for the Carthaginians, but not for the others yet. I am also applying a few Photoshop filters to give a pseudo-bloom effect to the portraits to try and give some kind of artistic look to them. Check out the Carthaginian portraits for examples.

Yeah, I just made the Thoakrites' unit portrait red because of your reference picture.

I don't like the blur on the Carthaginian portraits that much, personally. Also, does that mean we have to have blue Roman portraits?

We could go reverse. Red for non-mercs and blue for mercs. I just want a quick visual on what are mercs and what are not. I think the player color in the portraits is the easiest, uniform way.

We could go reverse. Red for non-mercs and blue for mercs. I just want a quick visual on what are mercs and what are not. I think the player color in the portraits is the easiest, uniform way.

How about civ-specific colours (Greece=blue, Rome=red, Celts=green, Persia=purple, Carthage=yellow, Iberia=orange), and mercs in black?

Those are generally my preferred colors for those civs, yeah. Not a bad system. I may adopt it.

If it would be entirely to my liking, the Carthaginians would also be blue and the Iberians also be red, but this kind of ruins the concept of giving each civ identifying colors.:P

Edit: I suppose it is not possible to support alpha channels in the gui so that units would be shown in each player's respective player color?

Edited by SMST

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

* Generic Name: Egyptian Levy Pikeman.

* Specific Name: Makhimos Aigyptios.

* Class: Champion Infantry Unit.

* Armament: Long Macedonian pike, the "sarissa".

* Appearance:

- Body: Dirty brown quilted linothorax and pteruges. No greaves.

- Shield: Round pelta with Egyptian-style designs painted on them.

- Helmet: Non-plumed Thracian and Phrygian helmets.

- Figure(s): None yet.

* History: When pressed hard by the fellow successor state, the Seleukid Kingdom, the Ptolemies of Egypt began to arm and train the Egyptian people in Macedonian fashion. These levies of indigenous Egyptians were crucial in turning back the Seleukid tide, cementing nationalist pride and threatening the rule of the Ptolemies over their own kingdom.

* Garrison: 1.

* Function: Same stats as an Elite Pezhetairos (it's uncommon for a Champion Unit to have stats on par with a citizen-soldier), but trains twice as fast, owing to their levy, non-professional status.

* Special: "Syntagma" Formation.

I think the Egyptian Levy Pikeman should become citizen soldier because their levy status but with less martial prowess than the Pezhetairos in order to portray the fusion of Hellenic warrior culture with Egyptian warrior culture for a simple reason lack of manpower.

The another solution is to turn them into a special unit with both champion and citizen unit status while having a champion status and a citizen status that grant them special advantage over other civilization especially against the Seleucids and the Macedonian that field more elite troops than the Ptolemies.

Edited by L'ethu

I think it would good to accurately portray the historic situation faced by the Ptolemy Egypt and to show the player the result of culture fusion between the Hellenic and Egyptian culture whether it was due to desperation or culture admiration. But we could use policy decision option to allow recruitment of Pezhetairos and various Macedon unit when a Ptolemaic player decide to choose other advance policy option in order to gain certain advantage against certain enemy but with some price to pay for their action for example lower HP for native and mixed race unit and expensive Macedon unit and mercenaries or vice versa they lost the access to Hellenic unit and stronger native unit.

Edited by L'ethu

They could gain some promotion in order to compete against Seleucid and other successor state champion unit, a unique champion unit with cheap price and citizen army status but not to be too strong against other champion unit. As i said before they should be a unit with a special status.

Historically these unit are prone to rebellion and the Ptolemies decided to recruit foreign soldiers than using native Egyptian in large number, by giving a half status to these unit could somehow portray the nature of these unit.

But after all it is you and the team makes the decision, i am but a community enthusiast that wait to play the game after all.

Edited by L'ethu

wait, i didn't read the whole text, but are you going to make a new civilisation for the Macedonians?

If yes, why? Macedonians are Hellenes, i don't see why separate them for the spartans, the Cretans etc. .....

Well, technically the Macedonians weren't Hellenes, although they were significantly influenced by Hellenic culture. That's not to say they didn't want to be considered Hellenes, though.

wait, i didn't read the whole text, but are you going to make a new civilisation for the Macedonians?

If yes, why? Macedonians are Hellenes, i don't see why separate them for the spartans, the Cretans etc. .....

The idea is to make the Macedonian civ represent the Hellenistic Sucessor States, with the pre-Alexandrian Hellenic (Greek) states represented by a revamped Hellenes faction.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note on this:

* Garrison: Cannot.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">* Function: Functions much like a warship, but on land. Is able to garrison all types of units (except cavalry) to increase attack and other attributes, including other siege units. Build limit: 1 at a time. <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">* Special: May unload garrisoned units over enemy walls.

The Helepolis can or not garrison?