Alpha feedback

Pureon

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shield Bearer :D

Btw would you like to join the team, or would u prefer to work outside of it? Just curios :)

I'd definitely like to join the team, it would certainly make updating the svn files easier, but I'm also conscious that my job makes me very unreliable, so i don't want to promise the team anything I can't deliver.

Since oshron mentioned it above, what do you all think about having units on ship decks? I see positives for both approaches. My biggest concern with having units on deck is the performance hit users might experience during sea battles.

Performance is one thing. What is also important is that size of the units onboard has a realistic ratio compared to the ship size. But would be cool to put a balista or other mechanical siege equipment on a Roman Quinquireme :)

Siege weaponry on ships, if modeled correctly, won't effect performance too much. The problem with having 0AD infantry units on deck is they are built of different models, use different textures, and have more complex geometry.

If you know of any siege weapons the Celts might have used, and have some images, do let me know :)

Edited by Pureon

Just played with the alpha a bit - it's pretty good, though the big and obvious lack is an AI of any sort. Does anyone know how the AI's coming along?

The basic AI system is being designed and implemented at the moment, then there needs to be an AI created to use that system, so it will be a while still before there is an AI to play against. We do intend to release a basic AI in the next Alpha release though, so while it may mean that you will have to wait for it, it also means that you'll have a computer opponent in the next Alpha release :) (It will probably be fairly basic though, but as everything else in the game we hope to improve it as time goes by and have a great AI by the time we have a finished game.)

I don't really know anything about what systems you're using for the back end of this, but if it's a fairly normal scripting system of some sort I'd be happy to play around with working on the AI a bit. I can't pledge much time, but it's the sort of thing I could reasonably have a go at at some point if it'd be a help at all (my previous scripting experience is modding RTW and M&B, plus a ton of JavaScript/AJAX/PHP work).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm not liking something about it. The cloth bits on the side are supposed to show player colour, but I forgot to set player alpha in the actor. Pity I'm not composed enough to sketch units out first.

The one thing that could be improved though is having men operate it.

The operators would be inside this type of battering ram, so the benefit of having 6 human meshes barely visible inside is small. The increase in model geometry would also hurt our computers. Maybe operators could be added to some of my smaller rams, but not the bigger covered ones. The small one below for example could have 2 guys pushing it, maybe:

0ADCeltSiegeRam03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...