Camera controls

I changed them quite a bit. Any opinions on how it feels?

Pan: move mouse to edge of screen; or arrow keys; or WASD; or middle-button-and-move-mouse; or "/"-and-move-mouse; or click on minimap.

Rotate: shift + mouse-wheel; or ctrl + arrows; or ctrl + WASD; or Q, E.

Zoom: mouse wheel; or "+" and "-".

If you open the developer overlay (via the menu, or press shift+D) then you can disable the camera constraints to get more control (for e.g. taking nice screenshots).

See binaries/data/config/default.cfg's "view." section for tweakable parameters. Are the speed and range and smoothness settings sensible, or are there changes that make it nicer?

I like the restraints. I like Q&E rotation. I wish there was a hotkey to snap back to 'default' zoom and rotation, or perhaps time the motion so that rotation/zooming back to default is more easily achieved.

Also, a suggestion, what if the camera pans up slightly as it zooms in, kinda like WC3 or RTW, but less drastic (we never see the skybox).

Added reset (the H key).

Rotating upwards when zooming seems tricky to do properly with this camera system. The camera doesn't automatically move up/down to follow the terrain, except when it's exceeding the min/max zoom distance settings, so the zoom distance can vary within those limits. If the rotation was linked to the distance then it'd wobble annoyingly when you scroll over small hills. If it wasn't linked to the distance then they'd get out of sync and you'd often be stuck at weird angles. I can't think of a way to implement it so it would work nicely.

(I think in those other games the camera does move to follow the terrain height (so the distance from the camera to the terrain is constant and can be tied to the rotation), but I'm not sure I like that since the movement feels a bit artificial and it masks the visual effect of slopes.)

On a similiar topic... I was thinking about that map edges issue the other day. I think you could make the boundaries of the map black by simply coloring lower half of the side skybox texture black - and putting some geometry to the bottom of the skybox, and make that black as well. Give that a try - I think it would give the illusion of black edges.

No, I don't think we want them to see the skybox in-game. With the 'no mans land' map edge we envision it's possible we could prevent them from seeing it at the game's current lowest camera angle, if that makes sense.

BTW -- the current camera controls are awesome. I have zero criticism. I even like how close to 90 degrees we can go. Gives a very interesting perspective!

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

Hi all! I've just started getting familiar with 0.a.d. and the first what I've noticed after Ticket #547 which was raised by me, is that camera can go outside the terrain, which shouldn't be available. I've raised a new ticket upon the subject: Ticket #554 and I'm gonna fix that, please refer to the ticket for further information.

Edited by markelov

• 3 weeks later...

markelov:

I think he means that we should keep skyboxes for custom cinematic scenes, but not automatically enable skyboxes in the main game.

can anybody check the ticket #56? There was no activity since I submitted my patch:

People have been busy lately, so I would assume no one's got to it yet. Thanks for the reminder though, we should get to it eventually. :victory: