Greek translation questions

antiskocz

I was wondering about a few of the Greek translations. First, for the women: "ghune"; should there be an "h" there? Woman in Greek is γυνη (gune/gyne).

Also, for the "house": in the game, the translation you've provided is "Metathros". I'm not familiar with that word, but I know that house is οικος (oikos, house) or οικια (oikia, household).

Edit: Great work though, guys! It's awesome to see a game like this -- the Age of Empires games were my absolute favorite RTSes. I really hope this project follows through to completion.

Edited by antiskocz

σπίτι

is spiti, not sniti.

Woman is gine or ghini in modern Greek, gyne or gune in ancient Greek. I've seen gamma rendered as gh only in transliterations of modern Greek, and ypsilon rendered as u only in transliterations of Mykenaian or occasionally of ancient Greek. The ghu combination looks very bizarre and mixed up.

I recommend gyne... then players can adopt whichever ancient pronunciation reconstruction they prefer. In fact, I recommend just adopting some specific (academic) transliteration method and using it consistently.

Edited by Aldandil

"Gine" ("gini"? as for the Ita (modern Eta) at the end?) is the modern Greek pronounciation. No one really knows how Ancient Greek was pronounced, but the consensus is that the Ypsilon was most likely pronounced like "ü".

Edited by SMST

Γυνα is not modern, Γυναικα is modern. The reason i mentioned Γυνα is because it formed the root word for many other words pertaining to Women. Where as Γυνη would lose the last ee η sound and be replaced with an A at the end when combing two word roots.

γυνη (γυνά, -αικός, -αῖκα; -αικῶν, -αιξί, -αῖκας)

But the term γυνη has been used numerous times in ancient texts as opposed to γυνα so γυνη is fine. Also the word Θηλύς was used for the word Female if that is what you were looking for. Gine had the connotation of wife but was also applied as female.

the ee or i sounds are as follows:

η = long i sounds as in tree - female singular

οι = long i sound as in tree - plural

ει = long i sound as in tree - usualy used in verbs

ι = short i sount as in sit (can be dichronus)

υ = dichronus in that it makes two i sounds si-it