Very Important

Mythos_Ruler

Scree Resolution  

81 members have voted

1. 1. In what screen resolution do you play video games?

• 1024x768
    • 1152x864
    • 1280x960
    • 1280x1024
    • 1600x1200
    • 1440x900
    • 1600x900
    • 1680x1050
    • 1920x1200
    • Other (4:3)
    • Other (Widescreen)
    • 2560x1600
    • 1280x800
    • 1920x1080
    • 1280x720

Even for a project that started in 2001, this is true? My computer is not any older than 2003.

There goes any and all enthusiasm and interest I had for 0 A.D. and Last Alliance. ;)

At least I find out now, not later.

Edited by Aldandil

Even for a project that started in 2001, this is true? My computer is not any older than 2003.

There goes any and all enthusiasm and interest I had for 0 A.D. and Last Alliance. :)

At least I find out now, not later.

If you want to play another game, then ok sorry to see you go, but feel free to lose your enthusiasm. But if you want to play this game, then I suggest you think about this a bit more. (For a good in-depth discussion of why 0 A.D. is 3D and not 2D, and thus is one reason why it requires a slightly better computer than what might have been the norm in 2001, please read this article on the website: http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?p=6911 )

My comment about "if you want to play this game" might seem rude, but all I really mean is this: 0 A.D. is not just its game-play, or its "setting", or its history, it's also its graphics. While it could perhaps be an interesting game even if it would have simpler graphics, it would not be the same game.

Also, while the idea was first conceived in 2001 (it was actually a mod for AoK back then), the actual development of the game wasn't started until 2003, so ambitions had time to change =)

We do still intend to try and keep the game running on as many computers as possible, but in the end the requirements might be a bit higher than they are today (though the opposite could also be true, while we most likely won't downgrade the games graphics to the point that it can be run on a graphics card that only supports OpenGL 1.3 we 'll definitely try to optimize things as much as possible). Truth be told though, we can't know for sure what computers can run the final game until we have the final game, everything up until then is merely speculation.

Finally, while I don't know your financial situation I would be surprised if you wouldn't be able to afford a new graphics card by the time 0 A.D. is finished. I mean even if things would be working optimally I don't see the game being finished in 2 years (probably more like 3-4 years minimum unless things really work perfect, things have started to improve with Philip's simulation system rewrite though, so in case the right people find the project/join we could have the game finished sooner than I fear ;) ). If you divide $40 with 24 you get ca $1.7/month, and to me that sounds like something most people could spare (at least if you can afford a computer + electricity + internet connection in the first place). Perhaps I'm wrong and you can't, and in that case I can see why you're frustrated, but then I repeat what I said in the beginning: Maybe this isn't the game for you, and in that case I'm suggesting you spend your time/energy doing something which is for you. Would be sad to see you go as you seem to be a good and passionate person, but for your own sake I guess it's better if you indeed "find out now, not later".

If you do lose your enthusiasm and decide not to follow the project any more, please don't forget about us in case you get a better graphics card :)

You do sound harsh, whether or not it's your intent. I don't really know what "another game" means, unless you mean Last Alliance.

I'm not angry, it isn't like you guys lied about the system requirements, I'm just frustrated and I should have checked the details sooner. I actually got this computer around 2005, I think. This is the apartment I rented for college -- as soon as I can, I'm moving back under my mother's roof until I can find a job, which is not looking likely any time soon, and pay off my loans.

Surely in the next 4 years, I can save $40 in birthday gifts (if that's really all it takes). I might even be able to find a job by then. Thinking about it that way does make me feel less frustrated, though.

P.S. Sorry that I hijacked the thread.

Edited by Aldandil

The 82845G chipset was released in 2002, and back then it was a low-end option with similar performance to (much more expensive) NVIDIA cards from around 2000. We've always targeted GeForce 3 level capabilities (high-end in 2001), and I've run the game with bearable performance on Intel mobile chipsets from around 2006. I'd be surprised if there weren't people giving away free second-hand computers that were more than adequate for the game ;)

• 3 months later...

check out these three links

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...een_Resolutions

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...r_Monitors_List

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...opic.php?t=2117

and we should at least have support for these 16:9 widescreen resolution 1024x576, 1152x648, 1280x720, 1600x900, and 1920x1080 and the apple 16:9 2560x1440 that for the 27" iMac

• 2 weeks later...