Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mythos_Ruler

Very Important

Scree Resolution   81 members have voted

1. 1. In what screen resolution do you play video games?

• 1024x768
    • 1152x864
    • 1280x960
    • 1280x1024
    • 1600x1200
    • 1440x900
    • 1600x900
    • 1680x1050
    • 1920x1200
    • Other (4:3)
    • Other (Widescreen)
    • 2560x1600
    • 1280x800
    • 1920x1080
    • 1280x720

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

I am designing some UI stuff for the game and it would be helpful to know which screen resolutions are most popular with the game's potential user-base.

// janwas edit: added some more options

I got a 1280x800 monitor. Unfortunately I have to play most games in 1024x768 because my PC sucks and can't run modern games at 1280x800.....

I must agree with Philip.

Support for the official HD-resolutions is a must-have.

This means:

1920 × 1080 and 1280 × 720

The resolutions I currently use are 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050 and 2560x1600. Widescreen seems quite ubiquitous (y). I run 0 A.D. at 1024x768 (windowed), but that's just for development so I can have editors and console windows visible at the same time - is everyone likely to play the game fullscreen instead?

1920x1200 here. Though a second monitor is now available, I'm still running in 1024x768 windowed mode (probably due to habit/inertia, but it is more convenient during development).

Philip: nice! What monitor is behind the 2560 number?

Well, someone will have to add those options. I'm not an admin anymore. (y)

That can easily be changed (y)

In the meantime, I've added the missing options, but that apparently wipes out the previous votes. Doh!

The previous state was "4, 1, 0, 4, 0, 1, 0, 3, 2, 0, 1".

Yeah, I've "already voted in this poll" as well. My resolution has one vote on it now, but I doubt it's from me.

Well, since the previous votes were recorded, I guess it doesn't matter!

Edited by Aldandil

Indeed (y) It's a good thing the browser allowed navigating back after that edit, hehe.

some serious stuff to take in mind for screen resolution is:

- you need a lot of options.

- you need options of resolutions that would play nice in more humble computers (using the lowest graphics possible).

- take in consideration the size of the units. i mean: wich would be the point of making detailed and beautiful unit, if in a great resolution the player will be unable to see them well and "enjoy the wiew", and today, more and more players enjoy great resolutions, and good graphics, if the units are proportionaly too small, they will not enjoy the cool graphics you are working for.

I say this as a player of course

Yes please, try to make the game work on even older graphics cards! Another game I was eagerly waiting for, which claimed to be free and to be designed for "low-end" computers, requires expensive new graphics cards that have to be bought separately. I was quite upset by that.

1024x768 (y)

Just never see the reason to change it. Always used that :P

1024x768 smile.gif

Just never see the reason to change it. Always used that biggrin.gif

true

I thought I remember there being three votes for 1024x768 earlier. Did my vote get lost during the remake of the poll?

That can easily be changed (y)

In the meantime, I've added the missing options, but that apparently wipes out the previous votes. Doh!

The previous state was "4, 1, 0, 4, 0, 1, 0, 3, 2, 0, 1".

I thought I remember there being three votes for 1024x768 earlier. Did my vote get lost during the remake of the poll?

In short, yeah, but as long as the alternatives are in the same order, which they should be as there's no apparent reason to change it, your vote is one of those four that Jan listed first :P So while the forum software didn't remember it Jan made sure it wasn't lost.

it will run in more "humble" computers?

I sure hope so! I have yet to see a computer that is more humble than mine!

I think by humble Darthturtle meant "as old as the 0AD project," or perhaps "not expensive or state-of-the-art," not "small." A netbook is a fairly new computer, yes?

I mean, you guys started this years ago, so unless you've increased the system requirements as you went along, it should still work on somewhat older computers and graphics cards, right?

I'm going to be terribly sad if I never have a chance to play 0AD or Last Alliance because of my graphics card.

Edited by Aldandil

It ain't built for gaming, I'll tell ya that

Neither is my machine. I have 2 GB of RAM and 2.93 GHz CPU, but my graphics card is a 64 MB integrated Intel 82845G Graphics Controller, and my page file is probably still set to "728MB used, 499MB available." I don't know how that compares to a GeForce 3 graphics card.

Edited by Aldandil

The 845G apparently only supports OpenGL 1.3, and I think we require OpenGL 1.4, so it probably won't work, and if it did work then it'd be incredibly slow :). But you can get a (low-end) modern AGP graphics card for $40 which should work perfectly well ;)

A "netbook" is not meant for playing games (it's meant to surf the Internet, email, chat, listen to music, etc). It'll probably run on a fairly new notebook though.