I modded the game!

Mythos_Ruler

Very nice screenshots! Though as usual, they break the forum frame.

Apologies.

One thing I noticed about the models is that most of the Greek units have no beards.

Is this usual in the game as written, or is it the result of your mod? Also, I think

Alexander's unarmored mode looks bald. I don't know if you made your own textures,

but if you can I suggest eventually adding some more hair to him. ;)

Hmm, the people in the last screen have beards, after all. And for the Sacred Band Warriors i chose the head model without beards deliberatly for this group consisted of young men only. (which were all homosexual couples btw.)

I made no new textures for this, just re-arranging the existing ones. I agree that Alexander is missing "something", but i have very limited texturing skills.^^

Otherwise, I think it's simply awesome that the game can already be modded, even to

a limited extent.

Yeah, imagine what it will be if 0 A.D. is finally released.:)

Thanks for the nice feedback, all of you!:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

This is the path for my screenshot folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Application Data\0ad\data\screenshots

I think the final path for screenshots will be in My Documents\My Games\0 A.D.\ (for Windows users), like other games, but that hasn't been implemented. For now the screens show up in the "Application Data" folder you see there, which is a hidden folder.

For some reason they're not going there, so I just did Print Screen and pasted it into paint. Here is my fisrt modest attempt at modding the game: a Viking Huskarl.

viking.png

BTW, I love the Actor Editor! Can't wait for the full game to come out so I have more material to mod with.

Edited by blablahead

• 3 weeks later...

Will there be documentation as to the maximum and minimum values supported by the game engine? For example, I noticed a hack armor value of 9.0 in the following screen shot:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.p...pe=post&id=2349

What is the highest value hack armor could be? Also, how many decimal places can numbers be carried out ? I.e. would 9.500 be a valid hack armor value ? Just curious as to how the game engine handles numbers.

The engine implementation doesn't impose any tight limits - most data like armour strengths is simply processed as normal JavaScript numbers (effectively 64-bit floating point), so it can handle anything up to around 10^308 and about sixteen significant digits. The GUI currently just uses JS's normal number-to-string conversion, so you can enter "9.500" in the entity XML file but it'll display as "9.5".

The way it handles numbers is great! That means small adjustments can be made for balance purposes. For example 9.004 could be an armor value. Or 9.125, etc.

"No stat limits have been decided yet."

That's good. It makes the engine very flexible for modders. Great job with everything. I've been following this project for years. ;)

Is it possible to make flying units (not in game but in a mod - for example a fantasy dragon) ? And if it is possible, would it be possible to make ground units which could attack something that was in the air? I understand if this function is not implemented in 0 AD. or the game engine as it makes no sense for the time period.

It should be possible implement flying units with just some changes to the gameplay scripts and data files. Replace their UnitMotion component (which talks to the pathfinder and makes people walk around and avoid each other) with a new component that implements some kind of flying motion (which could even handle realistic planes with minimum speeds and turning circles etc) and responds to the same "move to target" commands. Change some of the attack code to ignore unreachable targets (e.g. melee units can't hit flying units, ranged units have to account for vertical distance). Then it should basically work, I think. We won't need that code for 0 A.D. and should probably focus on writing features that we do need, but I think the engine makes it quite easy to add.

Well, as you may see from my other thread, Pyrogenesis: Empire, I am planning to mod the game entirely. Including Scythians. But adding a Skythian faction to vanilla 0AD first may be a good practice.

I have no modelling skills whatsoever, but I think Blender works quite well, the devs are using it, too. I don't know how to export the files and in which folder they are to be put. Some enlightenment by the developers could help us.:)

EDIT:

Oh, as for the other two units: In the middle is the Sacred Band Hoplite (which I mentioned earlier in the thread) and right, there is a generic Longbowman (in Celitic cloth, but not neccessarily Celtic)

Edited by SMST

• 1 month later...

Ok. I'm making a swordsman, so I chose infantry_melee_swordsman or something like that. When I try to place the unit in Atlas, I get this error message:

ERROR: CXeromyces: Parse error: units/thracian_warrior:1: Did not expect element Actor there

ERROR: CXeromyces: Parse error: units/thracian_warrior:1: Element Entity has extra content: Actor

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation failed

I know next to nothing about code/programming, so I probably made some really basic error.

I think the reason that I can't take the high resolution screenshots is because my keyboard is broken. In the meantime, here are some low res screenshots of the units I made. No texture editing involved, just me messing around with the Actor Editor. They are Thracian Cavalry and Falxman.

thracianarmy2.png

thracianarmy.png