Problem booting up

ScionOfWar

Hey, I've been lurking here for a few years now, mainly watching the progress from the sidelines. Well I decided to get involved and obviously the first step of that is getting the debug version up and running.

I'm having a problem getting it to start.

After building it in Visual C++, I tested the program and unfortunately it seems to get stuck when it tries to start loading CSimulation. The debug led me to this line of ogl_shader.cpp: "p->id = pglCreateProgramObjectARB(); " I tried commenting these lines out and rebuilding to no avail.

I ran the test program and it said I failed 2 of 191 tests.

"Failed 2 of 191 tests

Success rate: 98%

The thread 'CxxTest::Win32Gui::guiThread' (0xf8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'whrt_UpdateThread' (0x2b8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xb4c) has exited with code 2 (0x2).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xa14) has exited with code 2 (0x2).

The program '[2388] test_dbg.exe: Native' has exited with code 2 (0x2)."

I can post more information, just tell me what you guys need, maybe this problem is easy to fix? I tried running the non-debugger version and again it stopped at the CSimulation stage. The scenario editor does the same.

Thanks for any help, I'd love to get aboard this project! I've been playing around with Age of Mythology and scripting artificial intelligence, and since that seems like one of the underdeveloped areas of this game I feel I can help you guys out with the coding. If not, I'm also a decent modeller and skinner so I could help with that as well.

Thanks again! And keep up the good work guys :)

Edited by ScionOfWar

I can't help with the debugging, but I can help with this:

Thanks for any help, I'd love to get aboard this project! I've been playing around with Age of Mythology and scripting artificial intelligence, and since that seems like one of the underdeveloped areas of this game I feel I can help you guys out with the coding. If not, I'm also a decent modeller and skinner so I could help with that as well.

Awesome! You're very welcome to join by starting a new thread with a short application according to these instructions. (Sounds bureaucratic and all but it helps keep things organized)

I will definitely do that once I figure out if it's possible for my computer to run this game.. It would be pretty impractical and difficult (pretty much impossible actually) to code something I can't even playtest haha

I dunno maybe I don't have the right OpenGL platform or something. 3ds Max works like a charm though and I was pretty sure it uses OpenGL so I'm at a loss :)

Edited by ScionOfWar

You were right, that was the problem and that .cfg file fixed it like a charm! I'm slightly dissappointed I don't get to see all the awesome water reflections but even without them the water looks decent. Maybe some day you guys can make an auto-detection method for determining if OpenGL shaders work (IE have a picture, and next to it an OpenGL shader, and have the players choose "Yes" or "No" if it looks like the picture). Unless of course the computer could detect it without humans.

I must say the game looks very near completion from my ten minutes of tinkering. I love how units can do multiple roles, this will give you more flexibility and eliminates the AoM/AoE concept of 'you must always be fighting with your armies or it's a waste!' Now it may be more logical to defend with your armies, and gather when there's a lull in the battle.

For some reason when I go into the build menu, the background flashes from dark to light and back again. It seems like you guys wanted it to fade dark and stay dark while the menu pops up, but mine just flashes heh.. No big deal but it's kinda quirky.

Overall I give this 9 stars out of ten, it's looking very promising!

Thanks for the help I'll fill out that app now :)