i was not sure about licences, availability of editors for that format.. any restrictions from microsoft.. suitability for opengl project (as dds was probably created for dx).. i dont know, i just hoped there wouldnt be any drawbacks from that.. for example that dds would require not open software to be either used or modified

It's an openly documented format and there are several open source tools to work with the files - e.g. NVIDIA has some, the DevIL library can handle DDS too, and our game has its own code for reading and decompressing them. We need to use compressed textures (to save video memory), and the only option supported by the hardware is S3TC/DXTC (they're the OpenGL/DirectX names for the same thing), and DDS is the only common format for storing S3TC/DXTC textures, so it seems to be the best choice. It's less widely supported than formats like PNG but it's not too obscure or hard to convert so I think it works fine. (The game does support PNG/BMP/JPEG/TGA too, so people modding the game can use those if they want.)