Completeness of the game

jd823592

Hi

I wonder if the game will be released as one piece as well.. As it has been stated that there will be (at least) two parts -500 to 0 and 0 to 500 :)

Maybe the plans were to release some factions etc as addons etc..

Will there be a complete version for those of us who like to be sure they have all the official content... yes i am obsessed with the game :P :P you guys have done the most impressive work i have seen, though there are various great projects besides this one.. this one has spirit :P

Thanks for your enthusiasm, jd823592! We're glad other people are as excited about this project as we are.

We are currently focused on releasing the "first part", which is essentially the big bulk of the work. The "second part" was planned many years ago and is mostly comprised of extra bells and whistles, like new civs and gameplay features. Personally I'm not sure we'll get around to it, but I think if we finish the first part, many user-contributed mods will cover that.

0 A.D. is still in pre-alpha stage. We have been making a great deal of progress under the hood over the last few months, but the engine is by no means complete.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest problem with the project is the lack of AI or any single player content. Without it, any serious work on other aspects of the game like graphical improvements, optimizations and such just seems of lesser importance and premature. As a person with fairly respectable coding experience I could definitely find a way of contributing in these areas but it's kind of hard to begin improving something that isn't there. Do you have any immediate plans for implementing at least some very basic form of enemy AI and structure for single player campaign?

If the only problem was time, we'd have already finished :)

I think the main difficulty right now is slightly deeper than just AI and single-player - the simulation/gameplay system is missing some fundamental features, and isn't designed in a way that makes it easy to extend or build on, and the implementation is complex and prone to bugs. I believe that's what's caused progress on the game as a whole to be slow for years, but I've only realised it recently. There are definite plans for improving that - I've been redesigning and reimplementing that system for the past three months or so, and making reasonable progress, and it should be largely complete after a few more months. Once that's done, it will be a lot more feasible to implement AI and more complex gameplay concepts on top of it and make it into a proper game.

So I definitely agree that aspects like graphics aren't the critical ones to be worrying about now - apart from gameplay, most of the engine basically exists and works (though always there's room for improvements). I'm fairly confident (more than I have been for the past two years) that the critical problems will be solved in the near future, and the project isn't doomed to failure. But there'll still be a lot of work needed on important but less fundamental problems, so assistance would certainly be appreciated :P