post-0 AD idea: mythology

oshron

for the record, i plan to only use the aforementioned cherubs and archangels as myth units; all other angels that are mentioned would serve as minor "gods" (and one major "god" if you count lucifer :ok:)

as i always understood it, cherubs were basically like God's footsoldiers while archangels could, i guess, be called "problem-solvers" (kinda like the "state alchemists" from the anime 'Fullmetal Alchemist'; theyre brought out when the government has had it with people's bullshit). so, fittingly, cherubs are available very early while archangels come in very late

as i always understood it, cherubs were basically like God's footsoldiers while archangels could, i guess, be called "problem-solvers" (kinda like the "state alchemists" from the anime 'Fullmetal Alchemist'; theyre brought out when the government has had it with people's bullshit).
:)

So God brings out the archangels when He's fed up with a Christian civ player's lack of gaming skills? :P

Sorry, that sentence was too funny not to respond.

Edited by Aldandil

:):P lol, i guess that pretty much sums it up :P

i made that comparison because, iirc, it was archangels that destroyed sodom and gomorrah. in short, you dont want to @#$% with them if you have the choice

buuut, for the purposes of the game, they would, of course, be powered down and not at all invincible like they are in the bible. theyd still be among the most powerful christian myth units, and flying gives them an added advantage, but i dont think theyd be any more powerful than the mesopotamian pazuzu or the semitic ziz (which are both flying MUs as well)

EDIT: any ideas for which patron saints i could use as minor "gods" for the christians, as long as we're on the subject?

Edited by oshron

I don't know anything about saints.

But what I meant about cherubim and archangels is that if they're the most important angels (and if archangels are invinvible then they must be pretty powerful) then using something else instead for that myth unit could make more sense. Thing is I don't know what role ophanim, thrones, powers, etc. serve in the Heavenly Host, but I think they're worth looking into if it is the case that they're less invincible/important/major than archangels.

Saint George was the patron saint of England. Saint Lucy was the patron of the blind. (She is the source of the song Santa Lucia.) Saint Nicholas is well.... oh never mind. Michael is the saint of policemen. I will have to look into that a bit more though.

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

• 3 weeks later...

Oshron, you know how in 0 A.D. some civilizations get the ability to capture and tame animals that other civilizations can't tame (elephants and/or camels, I think)? Well for Godstorm the Egyptians should be able to capture and tame antelope/gazelles. Egyptians as early as the Old Kingdom kept herds of tame antelope (gazelles, bubal hartebeest, and oryx, maybe other species) for food.

Edited by Aldandil
  • Like 1

well one thing i was planning was to make it so that there was a different setup of animals for each civ using the same concept as all civs sharing the same basic units (ie, Infantry Spearman) and a different name and appearance for each unit depending on their civ. there's already a two planned antelope-type animals (a generic antelope and a generic deer), but maybe the egyptians could get another in place of a wild horse. they wouldnt be able to actually domesticate it (presumably; maybe there could be some programming to allow that), but it would look good for scenarios

Hi I am a new member to 0 A.D.

I have been looking to see if they were making AOM 3 or 2 if you can the titans expansion pack as number 2. Anyway I soon found that this looks like a potential successor to the quite possible never to come next Age of Mythology game.

I have a two questions:

1. Is this mod in the making? Is it going to be quite similar to AOM?

2. From what I have read the majority of the replies on this board are about the foundations of the mod, so has there been a foundation for the mod?

This looks so promising and AOM was and will always be my favorite game, it taught me so much educationally and was extremely fun. I was always hoping to come across an RTS that would incorporate a mythological theme to their game. I am willing to help in anyway possible, because I want this to be made so people can experience the joy I had from AOM. AOM wasn't just a video game to me, its was something increadible and I hope this mod makes that happen.

I really think that there should be another thread or edited post that in depth defines this mod (if it is in the making)

Hi I am a new member to 0 A.D.

I have been looking to see if they were making AOM 3 or 2 if you can the titans expansion pack as number 2. Anyway I soon found that this looks like a potential successor to the quite possible never to come next Age of Mythology game.

thanks! :)
I have a two questions:

1. Is this mod in the making? Is it going to be quite similar to AOM?

2. From what I have read the majority of the replies on this board are about the foundations of the mod, so has there been a foundation for the mod?

not yet. im waiting until 0ad is pretty much completed and un-buggy before attempting anything material, and in the meantime making written designs
This looks so promising and AOM was and will always be my favorite game, it taught me so much educationally and was extremely fun. I was always hoping to come across an RTS that would incorporate a mythological theme to their game. I am willing to help in anyway possible, because I want this to be made so people can experience the joy I had from AOM. AOM wasn't just a video game to me, its was something increadible and I hope this mod makes that happen.
tnaks again :P thats kinda what im aiming for, 0ad with an AOM coating

btw, about your registration to my database website, i took down the pages pertaining to the mythology mod not too long ago because of clutter and a lack of progress on them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i started some new work on the egyptians, all on a special wiki that i made for my two RTS ideas. in particular, ive been working on the pantheon and now have it organized on my RTS-Database in a way similar to how i have it on the original word document. it should now be easy to see exactly what the egyptian pantheon is still missing, as the information concerning their mortals is more or less finished at this point and would simply require some further specifications (which i plan to work on later).

http://rts-database.wikispaces.com/Egyptians

i even got some nice, uniform pics for each of the egyptian gods :) (except for bastet, who i couldnt find a good pic in the style of the others of). eventually, you can expect these pics to be replaced by more vibrant depictions of each god. for example, instead of this for anubis:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR...09xphIfEou4mDWw

the final version will probably be this:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT...CftdD9sqMWad0XQ

at least for the RTS-Database :D ideally, in a finished product, the portrait of each major god would be original

i plan to finish up with this redesign of the page concerning the egyptians, and will then use that as a template for the other civs, probably starting with teh celts (since theyre next in the lineup of civs) and plan to also redesign the myth unit setup to include a listing of the MUs at the end of each civ page, probably with the inclusion of a picture for each one and maybe even a mockup scientific classification

DPFAR: i just came up with a special ability for the Cù Sìth myth unit! for those who dont remember....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B9_S%C3%ACth

anyway, the ability i came up with is something that i think was planned for cavalry in 0ad but later dropped. i decided to make it so that they can capture enemy female citizens and convert them to your side, based on the legends about them kidnapping farmer's wives to take care of fairy children

DPFAR: i just came up with a special ability for the Cù Sìth myth unit! for those who dont remember....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B9_S%C3%ACth

anyway, the ability i came up with is something that i think was planned for cavalry in 0ad but later dropped. i decided to make it so that they can capture enemy female citizens and convert them to your side, based on the legends about them kidnapping farmer's wives to take care of fairy children

That's not dropped, just not implemented yet.

'kay, i just wasnt sure :)

i also finally got an idea for the special abilities of one of the celtic super units. the Li-dhealbta Laoch (aka painted warrior or woad raider), which is the unique unit for Beira (who represents the scots), wields a scottish claymore in close-quarters combat but hurls lanceas at range, but only against infantry; what good will an infantryman throwing javelins at cavaliers do? anyway, he also has a special ability where he occasionally hurls a hammer with great force across the battlefield at a single target. the attack ignores armor and harms anything that it touches and not just the target, and does especially high damage to inorganic units (ie, siege) and buildings, but it cant be used against ships. this is actually based on the highland games, in which one of the events is the hammer toss. the range of the hammer should ideally be based on the record distance of the hammer toss. it was actually my mom's suggestion that i base the ability on the highland games :D before i looked that up, i was swaying towards making the woad raider a berserker-type unit

ive also got some at least relatively updated celtic units as a whole:

* ive given their main hero, the King, a welsh name: Breinn. he's otherwise the same as before, though

* the celtic swordsman unit is now called the Kluddargos, a two-handed longswordsman who is more expensive than other swordsmen (because his sword isnt exactly common and he's also from a wealthy tribe) but also has a fair amount of armor and greater reach than most other swordsman. he can also hit multiple enemies at once because his sword is so long, though soldiers other than the one he is specifically attacking receive 20-50% less damage

* their spearman is now the Silurae Birnai, a rather strange welsh warrior who has a darker skintone than other celts (its thought that this is because that particular tribe was actually iberian in origin) and is good against both infantry AND cavalry. unlike in history, though, he doesnt double as a skirmisher. this is more for balance than anything else.

* the celtic archer is still lacking a name, but im leaning towards Sotaroas (not entirely sure if thats plural or not)

* their slinger is more or less the same as in 0ad

* their chariot may be renamed; thats still to be seen

* the celtic ram has a new welsh name: Maharen

* their fishing ship is the Coracle

a few updates. the favor generation methods for all of the original civs are now complete! :)

the egyptians still generate favor by building monuments

the celts still generate favor by planting sacred trees

the mesopotamians have an all-new generation method. before, i was planning to have it so that all of their buildings generated favor passively. now, ive made it so that they generate favor by first constructing Monoliths and then having one of their Priest hero units carve inscriptions on it. they get five different inscriptions, with a new one becoming available when they advance to the next phase. up until the legend phase, they share inscriptions. in the legend phase, each major god gets a different inscription: Marduk's Code of Hammurabi takes eye-for-an-eye literally; Ishtar's Stele of Vultures grants huge military bonuses; and Tiamat's Stele of Zakkur makes buildings impervious. all of those effects are only temporary though and cost 100 favor to be activated

the greeks use the Theatron to generate favor. i believe i mentioned this one before, but ill run everyone by it again just in case. first, they build a theatron (which can be constructed from the village phase onwards) and garrisoned units inside it to watch plays portraying their myths, which pleases the gods. ive changed it so that the theatron can be improved to hold more citizens and therefore generate more favor

the norse still generate favor by fighting. also, their heroes and super units generate favor simply by existing, but at a very slow rate

i also got a unique favor generation method for the cro-magnons: they have their shaman hero unit enter a trance and coax favor out of the gods that way. since they only get one shaman at a time, though, he generates favor very quickly by comparison to other civs, and can generate it faster if he's near a temple. this means that the cro-magnons no longer share any favor generation method with another civ (before, they had had methods of sacrifice and dance, which ideally should only go to the aztecs and mississippians, respectively