0 A.D. Release or fail?

Majicman182

dude, its a game not a mod... anymore, if it was a mod, you would be totally justified to claim it dead or almost dead, but its a game and a game takes a lot of time to create, not only that but its an indie game with no official budget, so what i am tring to say is patience it will not die, until mythos or some one else comes here and destroy everthing i just wrote ;)

• 1 month later...

I think years is a realistic goal.

Going open source, did it help you guys to shorten the time?

Make sure when you release it that the graphics are not "outdated", for example: a game like AOE2 is ten years old and still looks gorgeous, due to the excellent use of colour and models. ( and yeah, it's 2D)

You get my point?

Going open source, did it help you guys to shorten the time?

I think so. We've had some new contributors to the project, and even one bug fix here and there brings us closer to a finished game. None of these "lite" contributors could ever have got a look at the code, much less suggest how to improve it, when it was closed source.

Make sure when you release it that the graphics are not "outdated", for example: a game like AOE2 is ten years old and still looks gorgeous, due to the excellent use of colour and models. ( and yeah, it's 2D)

You get my point?

I think 0 A.D.'s graphics speak for themselves. I'm not exactly an expert on PC games, but for an indie project I'm guessing 0 A.D.'s graphics are relatively off the charts and probably will be for a while.

I think it's time to get a Management person onboard!

Spread the word around :)

Hehe, keep it up. I guess the forums will rise up to beat the old days as soon as the game is done.

Anyways

keep it going guys

we (the people with 0 game-making skills) are behind you 100 % !

• 1 month later...

I am well aware that the game developers owe us nothing. However, it is wrong to start a project and then purposely get people's hopes up saying "soon", "soon", "soon", then year after year after year goes by, and no end comes to site. In this case, developers are better off not even announcing or hinting the project until a good 2-3 years into development.

This game has been under development for I think 7 years now? At the 7 year mark, you'd think the developers could give us a rough estimate for release time, even if the project is not being funded.

For those of you who might not know, Rise & Fall can no longer be played online. Everytime my brother and I try, it says "a general networking error has occured". It has not been the most pleasant experience knowing that while Rise & Fall is gone, 0AD is not there to turn to. =/

Thanks for your heartfelt message, Lysimachus. I realize you are disappointed. In a limited sense, so are we. I can practically guarantee that nobody knew it was going to take this long when the project was started.

But look at the bright side. Most other projects die by this stage; Instead, we've managed to be a continuously developed project and we're still generating interest in gaming websites and new applicants even though most of the people who led the project at the get-go have either left the team entirely, handed over the keys in favor of lower-level work or are long deceased.

Also, as you pointed out, it's not fair to compare us to proprietary, commercial projects. Instead, compare us to other free, open source projects. When are those "done"? Well, never. If you think there's a missing feature, or that the code can be applied for something else, there's a new version of that software, and so on, ad infinitum. In that sense, 0 A.D. isn't any less "done" than Linux or OpenOffice. And once it is "done", it can essentially live forever, so with any luck, there will be an active modding and support community and you'll never get any of those stupid general networking errors.

Last but not least, instead of just complaining, think of how you can help matters. Can you help with any of our openings? Do you know anyone who might be interested in joining the team? Can you reach out to those people? Even putting up a poster at a local university or sending e-mails to local FOSS mailing list could make a world of difference. Help us get the game done and you'll get to play with it sooner.

Edited by Jeru