Which IDE do you use on Linux?

Hello

Could you please tell something about the IDE or/and the set of tools you use for developing on Linux?

At work I'm using Visual Studio, but I would like to work on Linux in my spare time and will have to learn using one of the IDEs running on Linux. It would be very interesting and useful to know which IDE scales well for a project like 0 A.D.

I've looked through the various documents I found on the website and also checked out the code to find some hints. I did only find some obvious tools like make, GCC and SVN.

Hopefully I can start looking a bit closer at 0 A.D soon. ;)

If you Ubuntu (or another Gnome Based distro) you could try Anjuta (which is fairly heavyweight), or Geany (which is more lightweight).

If you want to try out the "authentic linux experience" you could try either the Vim or Emacs text editors, which are definitely worth the effort of learning.

This is interesting for me as well, I've been trying to break the addition to Visual Studio for years now ;)

Have y'all tried out Qt Creator? That looks quite promising, and it even uses the VS debugger on Windows (which is a huge plus, because nothing else IME has come close)

Guest olelukoie

Have y'all tried out Qt Creator? That looks quite promising, and it even uses the VS debugger on Windows (which is a huge plus, because nothing else IME has come close)

I have tried Qt Creator on both Windows (XP) and Linux and I can say that currently it's just "promising", as it doesn't support any types of projects except Qt-based C++ ones: empty Qt4 project, Qt4 GUI app, Qt4 console app and C++ lib. And its UI is absolutely non-customizeable and looks too much "cartoonish". As for features supported it supports all most frequently used features but lacks some of useful ones - only one watch pane (combined with locals pane), it doesn't remember breakpoints and watches after close etc.

From my experience the best crossplatform IDE for Linux and Windows is Eclipse + plugins. For the same Qt4-based apps I use Eclipse+CDT+Qt4 eclipse integration. The main disadvantages are that it is written in Java (and works a bit slow) and has a bit strange UI design that requires some time to get used to it. And it doesn't have project files like VS's sln, dsw or vcproj, so it's a bit difficult to copy project from one machine to another. The best solution I've found is to create separate workspace for every project and copy the whole workspace. Of course, when moving from Linux to Windows and vice versa you need to (manually) reconfigure your workspace to use correct toolchain and libs/headers paths and names. May be there is a way to create different "targets" that use different toolchains depending on target platform but I've not tried this. Additional plus for Eclipse is that Intel VTune performance profiler (linux version for non-commercial usage is available for free on their web-site) fully integrates with it. For integration of another good linux debugging tool - valgrind - look at this project.

Also you can look at Code::Blocks. On Windows this IDE supports several different building/debugging toolchains including MinGW, Borland C++, Intel C++, Digital Mars, OpenWatcom and VS (2003, 2005 & 2008). Its main target is wxWidgets-based apps but it also supports many other project types, including SDL, OpenGL, Ogre, Irrlicht, FLTK and others. And this IDE supports ARM and AVR cross-development. One notice: developers of CB recommend to use nightly builds instead of stable ones.

There is one more alternative - NetBeans - but I never used it. I just know that it's also written in Java (like Eclipse) and supports C++ and Qt4 projects.

Edited by olelukoie