A veeery big problem

GONdorman

We will actively encourage free distribution. Yes, we WANT people to pirate this, to try and spread it around as much as possible. Burn a copy for a friend; burn 10 copies for 10 friends. Burn a copy for your neighbour's cat.
(The Official FAQ, Question "How will the game be distributed")

This is nice. I laughed at the part of the cat :D .

However, it demonstrates a seeeeriously bad problem with the distribution. And some people may know what it is...

Yeah, pirates :D , the scourge of society, horror of the fellow and honest gamer... :)

Problem is, 0A.D will be absolutely freeware, so it will be completely legal to dl it, and people can´t be accused of possesing it freely. They´ll just burn CDs and start selling them illgally, taking profit of your honest and hard work. Have you thought about it? What will you do?

Yeah, pirates :D , the scourge of society, horror of the fellow and honest gamer... :)

I have played quite a lot of games, but I have never been kidnapped on high sea. So, where is that danger you are talking about? :D

Scourge of society? In Somalia maybe, but not in Central Europe.

Problem is, 0A.D will be absolutely freeware, so it will be completely legal to dl it, and people can´t be accused of possesing it freely. They´ll just burn CDs and start selling them illgally, taking profit of your honest and hard work. Have you thought about it? What will you do?

I don't get it? When somebody voluntarily pays for something he can have for free, it is solely his problem.

I think, that people from 0AD are doing this for fun, to gain skills and some fame (not sorted in order of importance) and maybe something else. How can you blame them for it? There are larger projects which are spread for free and these aren't distributed in underground for heavy money.

Edited by Belisarivs

I have played quite a lot of games, but I have never been kidnapped on high sea. So, where is that danger you are talking about? :roman:

Haha :P . No, not exactly danger, but it would suck, you know

That part was to add dramatism :P ... didnt work I think... feeling humilliated :)

Scourge of society? In Somalia maybe, but not in Central Europe.

I don't get it? When somebody voluntarily pays for something he can have for free, it is solely his problem.

Well, do they have computers in Somalia :P ?(J/K)

What I mean is... well, most people probably wont know that they can get 0.A.D for free, you know. Did you knew that when AoK demo went out, some pirates started selling it as a full game?? And they sold a lot of copies (I didnt of course)

I think, that people from 0AD are doing this for fun, to gain skills and some fame (not sorted in order of importance) and maybe something else. How can you blame them for it? There are larger projects which are spread for free and these aren't distributed in underground for heavy money.

I´m not blaming them, in fact it´s quite an honourable thing to do

(quoting myself)

Have you thought about it? What will you do?

Is that blaming them? :D

@Feneur

Well... thing is, as i´ve said, many people perhaps would get fooled into buying it, cause they dont know its freeware. People you dont know (criminals) would get profit from your great and virtous game. I would feel bad if something like that hapened :roman:

Anyway, as I´ve said, it was just a thought. Perhaps it does not happen :D

Edited by GONdorman

@Feneur

Well... thing is, as i´ve said, many people perhaps would get fooled into buying it, cause they dont know its freeware. People you dont know (criminals) would get profit from your great and virtous game. I would feel bad if something like that hapened :D

Anyway, as I´ve said, it was just a thought. Perhaps it does not happen :)

Well, it's up to all the people who know it's free to make it known that you can get the game for free :D

Linux is also free, yet you can buy a CD, and is perfectly legal. The reason is because people cannot charge for the software, but they can charge for the CD and the burning of it.

Im not sure what licence is 0AD going to have, but once that it get finish, I will make some copies and give them to my friends :)

Linux is also free, yet you can buy a CD, and is perfectly legal. The reason is because people cannot charge for the software, but they can charge for the CD and the burning of it.
That's not the reason :). There's nothing stopping you from charging for the software by itself: "Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money? Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. ... Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my site? Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program."

But there is the requirement that when you distribute a copy to someone, they have the right to distribute it to anyone else free of charge. You could make a special version of Linux and sell it for $10,000 via your web site, and that's fine; but once one person has bought it, they could upload it to their own web site and make it available for free, so you're only going to sell one copy.