Combat system

darthturtle

So I was wondering... will the combat in 0 AD be standard real time strategy like AOE (rock paper scissor combat emphasizing unit choice and resource management) or real time tactics like the Total War series (simulation of real world tactics, emphasizing positioning and morale)?

Personally I prefer real time tactics because I can't micro :) but then the game is classified as an RTS...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0 A.D. will be more RTS than RTT, though we hope to add some more RTT elements in that we want to add some more value to formations and so, in general it's far more RTS than RTT though.

(As a personal side note I find RTS easier to micro-manage than RTT, but that might be more due to me being used to RTS game play than RTT :) )

I prefer real time tactics because I can't micro

:)

as far as naming conventions go:

strategy effectively means thinking is most important and your decisions matter more than your ability to implement them perfectly

tactics effectively means micromanaging individual units / groups of units into formations usually involving high amounts of button presses and clicks

strategy effectively means thinking is most important and your decisions matter more than your ability to implement them perfectly

tactics effectively means micromanaging individual units / groups of units into formations usually involving high amounts of button presses and clicks

Technically you are correct, but the industry has settled on terms that we now have to use. lol RTS came before RTT and it was easier to just call the new sub-genre RTT instead of renaming the existing genre. :)

Well, according to the previews, info, stuff the makers have posted, etc... Battles will be a mix of RTS and Total War, though I do not know a lot more.

I´d personally prefer the combat system to lean more towards Total War strategy (TW RULEZ :D ) but I´m not making the game ;)

Anyway:

It will be AWESOME :):) !!

Edited by GONdorman

technically, yes. but in a RTS game being able to micro means you can implant you plans faster,both in a battle and in your base. in a RTT game combat is usually the focus, and micro in RTT doesn't involve in shifting from your base to your army every 5 seconds. This is even worse in a fast paced RTS. In RTT your unit can't just disengage if they're in melee, meaning micro that fast will tie up your troops all over the place, giving your opponent opening and weak points to expose.

Indeed, and that's what's said in the first post, there seems like a lot of people have posted in this thread without reading the previous posts :D

darn. I apologize for being blind. :)

Edit: Hey. What's up with text editing? I get word d a m n replaced by darn.

Edited by Belisarivs

given the small disapointment i had when i saw shoguns hellenic warfare article, that given the amount of troops probably available per game i assume it would be better of as an RTS, although a few RTT features would be nice.

in deed it does ''sux''

@#$% you, @#$%, @#$%, @#$%, idiot, moron hmmmm only the last three are visible, guess i will have to settle :)

Edited by saxguy

Depends on the community, if the community is immature, then censorship will benefit everyone. However if the community is mature, then censorship wouldn't be needed.

It also shows distrust of web admins towards community. Censorship is always wrong. If someone is immature, he must face the consequences.

Anyway, back on topic, post which system you prefer and why?

Well, that depends. It isn't question easy to answer. Both have significant pros and cons. I like both equally.

I like AoK as well as Total War games. Both excel in different way, and both are really good. IMHO.

First of all, it is not "censorship" since this is a private forum and you are all guests in our house. Secondly, more than half of our forum membership are legally children. Why risk raising the ire of parents? Our game will be rated T for Teen. And lastly, why should we bother having to ban people, delete posts, and all that when we can turn on the word filter with a flip of the switch? If you want to curse at each other there are other forums.

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

I prefer the RTS games rather than the RTT, but a long time ago i played Medieval Total War, and I experienced the tactic system made in a battle.

I read along the thread and i suppose that the team is going to add some tactic characteristics, the fussion sounds attractive for me

I like RTS because I played it a lot more and I like having to look after an economy in the early game and not neglect it as the game goes on. I'm not a big fan of head to head fights unless I have a huge advantage in strength and numbers. I prefer to choke the economy of the other team.