0 A.D. requirements

Jugulator

So, Hi to all the forum, I'm new at this page, and i'd like to talk about the requirements of the game. I have a nice PC with XP, Intel Pentium 4 and 128 Mb of RAM, ATI RADEON 'numbers & stuff here' video card and an AUDIGY sound card, is it enough for the game?, Actually I think about upgradin' some components.

Really, I saw the videos and the graphics are amazing, but I had to uninstal AOE III cause it was too heavy for my computer and the game crashes every hour. So i'm worried about having the same problem with 0 A.D.

So, that's all for the moment

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0AD supports multi threading? I don't thing so as there was said that project lacks programmers and support for more threads is IMHO nasty to implement.

Indeed, the game engine doesn't try to take advantage of multi-core CPUs. Largely that's because multi-core CPUs didn't exist when we started, and it's very hard to retrofit at a later date. Also we want the game to work on single-core CPUs, so we have to design it to work within that limitation, which means it should still be fast enough on a single core of a multi-core CPU and there isn't a great advantage in using more. And multithreading is just a hard problem anyway, particularly since games are inherently quite serial - you have tens of milliseconds to process one frame, and then you have to finish with it and start over again on the next frame, and it's hard to split that one frame's processing into enough chunks that can be distributed across multiple cores to get a real benefit.

(We do use multiple threads for reasons other than performance, e.g. to run some background timer stuff and to separate the editor GUI from the game renderer, but only one thread is doing any heavy computation.)

• 5 months later...

I don't feel confident enough to give any estimates on how increasing the population cap will effect the minimum requirements. Adjusting the population cap is probably something we will play with when the game is closer to completion, so we will have a better idea of how expensive it is on the hardware, as well as how it affects gameplay overall.

Alrighty. But the general idea is to be able to have the game run on lower end computers, right? I guess it would be too big of a deal to let the player decide what the cap should be during game setup, because it would effect all kinds of stuff like AI and unit balancing.

So would it be realistic to expect to be able to mod that kind of thing? An increased population cap and a larger map size?