Will the beta be released this year?

Crunchy Ostrich

Will the beta be released this year?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will the beta be released this year?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok thanks man I was just wondering so that I would know how to code this if I made a mod for it.

C# is ok its just that C++ has been used more if you know what I mean so I understand why you guys don't like it. Does anyone know any good books to learn C++, JavaScript, XML, or C#

I'm making my own game for the computer. (Ping Pong clone)

I'm just starting to learn learning. (y)

If you're looking for books, I'd check out amazon for whatever language you want. (Adding "beginner" or "beginning" to your search might help.) Their reviews should be most helpful.

I would recommend online sources as they are free and you can see if you really like it before you spend any money. If you're really determined to program, books can be very nice (and easier on the eyes). If you want some specific advice, you can always post a link to a book here and I could take a look at some of the reviews.

Gamedev.net is great for game specific programming, but sometimes it's easier to learn the basic language from a language specific website. Once you know the language a bit you can go back to the game programming sites.

I'd recommend you check out w3schools.com. They have many good beginner lessons on things relating to the web. Of particular interest to you would be their lessons on HTML, Javascript, and XML. (It's probably best to learn them in that order.)

There are some really good C++ websites out there:

cprogramming.com (They have some good beginnner tutorials.)

cplusplus.com (They have a forum and an excellent reference section.)

cppreference.com (This is primarily a reference site.)

I don’t recommend you start with C++ unless you know someone who can help you set up a compiler. However, if you are determined, there are tutorials out there for that too.

I’m not familiar with C#, but I’m sure you can find C# specific websites with google.

Another language you should consider is Python. It won’t help you with this project, but it is a fairly easy object oriented beginner language. (It’s similar in difficulty to Javascript.) If you want to try Python, I recommend you download it from the official website, because they include an easy to use IDE (integrated development environment) called IDLE.

Some good tutorial sites for Python are:

Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python - This is one of the easiest, so you might want to start here.

diveintopython.org - A good python book (more advanced)

A Byte of Python - Another good python book

Python Cheat Sheet - An excellent reference sheet

Python games:

invent-your-own-computer-games-with-python (A free book about making simple games with Python.)

Blender is free 3D modeling program with a built-in game engine. Its game engine uses python for scripting.

Complete Blender Game Engine Python Reference (This might be too advanced for you right now, but I included it to show how much you have available in Blender.)

C# is ok its just that C++ has been used more if you know what I mean so I understand why you guys don't like it.

No. There are other reasons.

.NET is IIRC youger than 0AD, so it would bee needed to rewrite whole game.

I don't know about .NET implementation of OpenGL.

.NET is proprietary MS tech (no, Mono isn't full implementation) and thus no Linux, no MAC etc.

.NET is somewhat less effective, so better CPU and more RAM would be needed.

And there are maybe others.

• 3 weeks later...
SC2 is not a danger to us. It is a SCi Fi game, ours is historical.
Do you not believe there are many people who like RTS games regardless of the setting, and who would spend their time with SC2 instead of 0 A.D.? (Or, indeed, people who like games regardless of the genre and setting, and who would do the same?)

Thinking about a likely release date for 0 A.D. I don't think a game that's released at the end of this year is a "threat" :) I mean those who're interested in RTS gaming in general are likely to be eager to try something new while a lot of people who're interested in modding will probably enjoy 0 A.D.s flexibility (note that I don't know enough about SC2 to know if it's easy to mod or not :) ).

Do you not believe there are many people who like RTS games regardless of the setting, and who would spend their time with SC2 instead of 0 A.D.? (Or, indeed, people who like games regardless of the genre and setting, and who would do the same?)

Well, if that were the case then we'd have to "worry" about every software release and view them all as competitors! zomg!!1!!

Well, sure - somebody wants to play a game, and we want them to play our game, and we have to compete for their attention against every other game. When a major game has just been released that wins the attention of lots of RTS gamers, we have to compete harder to get some of the attention back. We can't control anyone else's game, so all we can do is make ours as good as we are capable of. Seems sensible to me :)

Well, sure - somebody wants to play a game, and we want them to play our game, and we have to compete for their attention against every other game. When a major game has just been released that wins the attention of lots of RTS gamers, we have to compete harder to get some of the attention back. We can't control anyone else's game, so all we can do is make ours as good as we are capable of. Seems sensible to me :)

Yap, kinda my point. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...