Will the beta be released this year?

Crunchy Ostrich

Will the beta be released this year?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will the beta be released this year?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell, they're much more ahead in art and behind in programming. The game is a lot less complete than we all imagine by looking at the wonderful screens Mythos has provided us.

This is the main point exactly (n)

And to put it short I agree and hope we'll get more programmers with a lot of skill, free time, and a sense of responsibility (y) To read a "slightly" longer text read on, but it says more or less that so there's no need to read it all ;)

The Art part is ahead but there's been a great deal of heroic deeds in the programming area, creating an engine as good as Pyrogenesis actually is, already, from scratch is no small thing. Especially since it's only been done in people's free time. I wouldn't say our programmers are amateurs though, unless you mean in the unpaid sense of the word :o , in a way I guess that's the problem. Our three main programmers are now working on their PhDs, which obviously takes up almost all of their time, and while we have some newer people, who contribute as much as they can, programming is certainly the main area where we're "weak" as it is now. Sadly, as there's a lot to do before we have the game we've been dreaming of. (Though I'm amazed time and time again at all the things this team have already accomplished, it's no coincidence that things look as good as they do in the screenshots after all. A lot of the magic is Michael's, but not all (y) )

Done with everything? :o If you think so then you don't know the Art Department (y)

I don't want to make fun of neither you nor the Art Department, but my experience is that in case there is the slightest amount of doubt the Art Department will seize the chance to improve on things (y) Which is a good thing as skill naturally improves over the course of a project like this, but it also means that while all the art perhaps could have been done already, but not in a quality as good as the one we have now ;)

I've asked about that before. The problem is that if they want to add something new, then the progress bar will go down. Plus, you really can't tell the progress of an art, because unless you plan it and go exactly like that way and ignore all the objects that you come to, it will be like guessing how much you have done and need to do. I couldn't do anything like that, I'm bad at predictions.

Funny that the art is almost done, but not the programming. In many opensource games its mostly the other way round: good engines, but not art. Maybe opensourcing the engine/game could attract some of those developers.

Just look at the amount of shooter-style engines out there, surely a coder among them could be interested in picking up a RTS-engine /with/ art to boot.

Maybe a programmer could teach some art and new members the basics to programming? Open source sounds like a good idea aswell.

The trouble is that the basics aren't enough for this stage of development. I'm sure that someone can learn it all if given enough time, but preferably we need people who already are skilled as taking time from development to teach new people isn't necessarily a good thing - they might decide to leave the team before they can contribute and then that time would have been better used to develop the game instead.