New Game idea

H.Balck

Can you provide your sources?, because all the archeological info that I had seen, show that the horses on that time were'nt strong enough to carry a man on their back, it was only later, after centuries of breeding that the races get that ability, and the first ones came from the steppes of Asia. There's also the fact that the draws found on micenic/minoan pottery show chariots and not raiders.

But I may be wrong (y)

Read this:

Bibliographie:

• Crouwel, J. Bronzezeitliche Wagen in Griechenland. In: M.Fansa/St.Burmeister (Hrg.), Rad und Wagen. Der Ursprung einer Innovation. Wagen im Vorderen Orient und Europa. Archäologische Mitteilungen aus Nordwestdeutschland. Beiheft 40 (Oldenburg 2004) 341-346.

• Littauer,M.A. und J.H. Crouwel 1983. Chariots in late Bronze Age Greece. Antiquity 57. 1983. 187-192.

• Crouwel, J. Chariots and other Means of Land transport in Bronze Age Greece. Allard Pierson Series. Studies in Ancient Civilization 3 (Amsterdam 1981).

• Richter,Th. Der Streitwagen im Alten Orient im 2.Jt. v.Chr. – eine Betrachtung anhand der keilschriftlichen Quellen. In: M.Fansa/St.Burmeister (Hrg.), Rad und Wagen. Der Ursprung einer Innovation. Wagen im Vorderen Orient und Europa. Archäologische Mitteilungen aus Nordwestdeutschland. Beiheft 40 (Oldenburg 2004) 507-514.

• Crouwel, J. Der Alte Orient und seine Rolle in der Entwicklung von Fahrzeugen. In M.Fansa/St.Burmeister (Hrg.), Rad und Wagen. Der Ursprung einer Innovation. Wagen im Vorderen Orient und Europa. Archäologische Mitteilungen aus Nordwestdeutschland. Beiheft 40 (Oldenburg 2004) 69-86.

• Plath. Pferd und Wagen im Mykenischen und bei Homer.In: B.Hänsel u.S.Zimmer (Hrsg.). Die Indogermanen und das Pferd (Budapest 1994) 103-114.

• Drews, R. The coming of the greeks. Indoeuropean Conquest in the Aegean and the near east. (Princeton/New Jersey 1988) 84-148.

• 2 months later...

maybe edit the posts so they don't run off the screen (1680 horizontal pixels here...)

anyways the art style is really neat. if the units are actually that big on screen then I think they need more detail (like eyes and a mouth)

How on Earth can ONE person churn out so many units? If you were on the 0 AD team, it would probably be on its third major update of part II by now (No offense intended towards the 0 AD team). Anyways, how are you gonna organise the eras each of these factions are from? Is it gonna be Empire Earth style, or have various "sub-games" like 0 AD (Part I and II)? Are you gonna release this for free (*pleads*) on the internet?

EDIT: Have you done any other sort of stuff yet? (eg. siege weapons, ships, buildings). If so, could you give us a peek?

EDIT2: Just noticed that the first animation in the topic post throws a pilum AND fights with a sword. Good on ya!

By making several different skins. Did you notice how most of the units where in the same position?

• 1 month later...

You know - as cool as all of these units are:

My hope for the next RTS are that someone finally does it right, one age at a time, one release at a time. That multiplayer is baked in from the beginning, because multiplayer has always been the best test of an RTS and the best way to truly balance it.

The first release should basically be for the Stone Age. It should just focus on basic rock/paper/scissors - club/spear/sling units - and incorporate everything that has been done to improve the genre, such as zooming way out and way in - the ability to go first person on any unit and gain an advantage, a good hunting/gathering/fishing bonus system - ability to lure large game and risk death, etc. - complex formation, reward for good micro management in battle, etc.

Then every few years another age can be released with more units and features...by doing it that way, balance and stability can always be assured, and releases can happen in reasonable time periods...

just a thought...

I just recall some incredible games back in the day on Empire Earth when we would play death match in Stone Age only and outlaw towers and priests....I'll never forget the massive battles we had with grunts throwing rocks verses grunts with clubs...

nice but how are you planning on making maps and cities?? im assuming that with the size of armies your doing and the historical accuracy your want to have the cities will in a way be like in Total War am i right?? at least in size, with your 2-d aproach though i doubt map sizes will be much of a problem...