How much will the game be customizable?

IS_NormanDuck

Hi all!

I was thinking about different RTS games and i was asking myself how much will 0AD be customizable without making a mod of the game.

For example: will the game allow custom AIs? Will it allows also custom random maps (if any), custom scenarios, custom campaigns or anything else without modding it?

Atlas, our trusty scenario editor, will be available as a user-friendly solution to customized scenarios and campaigns, comparable to the editors of the 'Age of' series (except maybe with less bugs than AoEIII's :banana:). New units and other aspects of gameplay will require modding, which we've made as easy as we possibly can - made by modders for modders. That's not to say, though, that some nice person won't come along and develop a generator for things like random maps and AIs.

I guess that depends on what you mean by modding :banana: Some people might consider writing a custom AI modding, at least in the sense that it needs a bit more than just moving some sliders or clicking some buttons. We will make it as easy as we can to add custom AIs though, though again that's a complicated area so it's not possible to make it very easy. :lol:

"Multi-levelling" is not possible because the terrain is representated via heightmap. With exactly one height value per tile corner, the terrain is "2.5D". Something like Starcraft's Nydus canals / C&C's attack holes would still be possible but aren't planned for.

"Multi-levelling" is not possible because the terrain is representated via heightmap. With exactly one height value per tile corner, the terrain is "2.5D". Something like Starcraft's Nydus canals / C&C's attack holes would still be possible but aren't planned for.

You mean like the 'caves' of AoE 3, which where really just sprites/models which where semi-transperant and gave the appearance of a cave without actually being 3D.

So if i have understood well, there would be the possibility to add a custom AI in a scenario or so using scenario editor or also some other sort of tool bun that AI can't exist alone. It would be taken from a scenario and such and placed in another but it wouldn't exist like a "free" object

Not the same program. AI's are usually programmed by hand in a script editor or text editor. What I am saying is some files and mods, perhaps including custom AIs, may be possible to bundle with Custom Scenarios for playing multiplayer. To transfer everything in one file to all the other players in the game. That is our aim anyway.

That is good! It gives the possibility of putting into an AI new strategies - for examples from online gamers - and many new ideas of various players and scripters. I think that allowing (quite) easy AI scripting adds a plus-dimension at the game (this, but also generally to wichever)

• 1 month later...