Slave armys

NOXAS1

I was wondering I know the Persians once owned Egypt and in aok the Saracens had a unit called a Mamluke.

will there be any calvary on Camels just wondering. oh and will you have something like slave armies. for persia.

Edited by NOXAS1

I'm pretty sure that there will be camels, but the Mamluke was a Saracan, or Arab, unit, not Persian. The Persians might have had camelry, but they used mostly normal cavalry, elephants and chariots as their cavalry.

I don't think there will be a "slave" army, but more of a levy, quickly trained and cheap, but aren't very powerful.

Plus, if there was a slave army, I think it would be a revolt for being so low (y) !

Well the spartans employed the helots as light troops, didn't they? I'm sure it can be discussed wether they were "slaves" or not by definition, but it was something down that road. There are probably other similar examples too.

No slaves in 0 A.D. I am not against the idea of having slave units, as long as they'd have a completely unique role in the game design and weren't superfluous. But as far as "slave armies" go - I see no historical precedent for their inclusion in our game.

What of the Servile Wars?

Yeah, but how would they fit into the game? Certainly not as Roman units, since they fought against Rome. Certainly not as their own faction, because they did not build a civilization of their own.

If I remember right, the original plan for the map had the map divided into various "provinces". Perhaps in each Province a local mercenary unit could be made available. A non-playable general faction, just for circumstances such as these (rebel slaves, bandits, ect.) like the Gaia faction in AoE II or the Slaves/Rebels of RTW, could be added and the slave army of the Servile Wars composed of the mercenary units that would be available in the Italian provinces.