Civ Bonuses

Abadu

I dont know if this has already been asked,but will the civs have some kind of unique bonus?

For example,in Aoe III the civs had bonuses like "every destroyed building spawns soldiers" or "this unique building generates resources".In Age of kings the bonuses were more like civ A has 25% stronger walls while civ B has 10% cheaper soldiers.

So Im asking,will there be bonuses like this?And if yes,wich do they look like more,with AoE III or AoK?

Cheers =)

I think it will be more like x-unit is better at y-task.

For example, the Hoplitai will be better at fighting,

but the... Celtic Soldier would be better at gathering and building.

Glorious Roma will have troops who are somewhere in the middle?

Guess who I'm waiting to play as!

I dont know if this has already been asked,but will the civs have some kind of unique bonus?

For example,in Aoe III the civs had bonuses like "every destroyed building spawns soldiers" or "this unique building generates resources".

Sounds more like AoM here: "every destroyed building spawns soldiers" gotten from playing as Posidon.

We use "soldier classes", so for instance, a Triarius and a Hoplite are both "Infantry Spearman" class. This means similar stats and bonuses (Infantry Spearmen are good vs. melee Cavalry). But when I mean "similar" stats, I mean that the Hoplite will most likely be the best Spearman in the game, with higher armour and higher attack. Consequently, the Hoplite will cost more and have a lower movement rate. Having said that, the Hoplite will still have the same bonus vs. cavalry as a Triarius and the stats difference will not be wildly different.

Some standard units (units that aren't heroes or Super Units) will have wildly different stats and characteristics from their fellow classmates from other civs. For instance, the Persian Cataphract will have an immense charge bonus, but a very poor melee attack, making this unit nearly useless in a melee, but irresistible when performing a cavalry charge. So, there will be instances where civ differentiation will be stark, but most units will fit a class pattern.

Hoplite good against cavalry? AFAIK Hoplite were using rather shorter Doris. Better than sword against cavalry, but I think, that spear of Triarius is longer. Also, Triarius shouldn't be much weaker than Hoplite. Should perhaps have better melee but weaker armor.

And strong charge and weak melee of Cataphracts? Why? When horse carries heavy armour, he can't be that fast. Also "under-arm" wielding of lance was introduced in 12th century AFAIK. Therefore I would switch it. Better melee (at least definitelly not weak, hit by mace or axe to head would make none of us happy) and somewhat average charge.

Id use light cavalry for charges. Say, Numidians. I've also read, that Alexander deployed Sarissophoroi (horseman with sarrissa - I'm not sure if I type it right, but you know what I mean). These would apply for good charge because of speed and and long lance.

How would high charge apply? Strong first hint or something like from MTW?

Edited by Belisarivs

Persian cataphracts were among the first cavalry to actually crash into their enemies. Their heavy armour and sturdy mounts offered a great punch upon impact, but once the charge had been stopped they were at a disadvantage due to the sheer bulk and weight of their arms and armour.

Charge is bonused first hit.

As far as Triarius vs. Hoplite, we are making a game, first and foremost. We need to make these civs as different as possible within the framework we've worked up. Romans are known for their swordsmen, so their swordsmen will be bonused. Greeks are known for their Hoplites, so the Hoplites will be bonused. Having said that, the stats difference between a Hoplite and Triarius won't be insanely different. They'll still have the same role within the counter system.