Spring Q&A, Question

chiefwhosm

Hi,

Just saw the Q&A from March, and one thing that stood out was the reply that said the game lobby wouldn't be feasible at this time.

I just wondered why, is it a case of other more important things to do on the actual game then spending man power on just a lobby system?

If this is the case I just wondered if you knew that the TA Spring Project has their chat lobby source code released as open source so that anyone can compile it for their own uses.

Though i'm no coder I shouldn't imagine it would take too many modifications to get it to link to the 0AD program/port etc instead of the Spring Project.

Also no doubt it would take less time than writing a new channel from scratch.

Just a thought :)

That was a very blunt answer but it is probably right. That isn't to say we don't have plans or dreams or ideas in place but honestly we're abit in the dark as to how all that will go down. A lobby / server system is something that naturally will be done towards the very end, so rather than hyping plans or ideas we don't know if we'll be able to do 1-2 years from now its safer to assume the honest answer given in the.

Thats not to say we aren't going to be looking for options or sources, and I highly doubt we would be completely incapable of figuring something out ( :) ) but for now this all is stuff far ahead in the future.

Coding our own lobby and menu/server system would take a very long time as thats one of the most complicated peices of UI in a game, in my experience I know a developer usually has a seperate small team of coders and scripters that exclusively work on an ingame lobby. Its unknown at this time whether we will have such an ingame lobby, unless ofcourse there are a handful of excellent experienced people willing to join the team and code one up for us, but programmers are rare, especially programmers willing to do this kind of serious work (which is very time and thought consuming) for no compensation, especially how other people pay for this kind of work - we can only do it for our selves and out of our own passion, and sadly, only in our free time.